These crabs are not scarlet leg hermits

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by david, Aug 31, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

I have two crabs in my tank that I bought under the guise that they were scarlet leg reef hermits.  Now that they are a little older and much bigger(they look as though they are gonna bust their shells!). I know the truth. So here is my question. Should I 86 these crabs? Are they the unknown cause of the death of some of my other true scarlet legs? And some turbo snials I have noticed that have expired? All my tests for water quality are great!Tank looks great too!
    Thanks 4 ur answers,
    David

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Hey David,
    I too have had mystery hermits sold to me as blues or Reds. But scarlets aren't cheep. Most of my mystery hermits are much bigger than my others but have never cause any trouble (that I could prove)

Due you have a Picture of these crabs because there are a lot of "reef Safe" hermits out there.

J

4. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Sorry jackets made a surprize trip to the lfs this morning. I gave them a call and they traded me scarlets for these mystery crabs they sold me. So I got rid of them anyway, but get this! They didn't want to put them in there reef either, after they saw them?

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

The collectors have a hard time NOT collecting other hermits and toesing them into the sack. You should see what we get as Emerald Mithrax crabs (1/2 are usaully RED)

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Nice LFS, Glad you got what you paid for. Scarlets are my fav, but I've found the blue legs take them out often

Good luck and I'm glad you were able to get ride of the mystery crab

J

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I get the super mini blue legs and then they don't mess with the Scarlets. When the blue legs get bigger, I swap them out with my LFS for the smaller ones. Livestock mgmt. plan, eh?