Urgent Thermometer Broke What Do I Do?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by xmetalfan99, Jan 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I have two thermometers, a digital and a normal one. My heater was stuck on today and my tank was 85.6 degrees when I got home. I took the heater out asap. There was algae growing on it so I assumed that was the issue. I cleaned the heater and put it back in. I did something else for a few minutes and saw that the temp went from 82.3 to 83.5 in that period. I decided that I was also going to place my normal thermometer in my DT and I was stabbed by broken glass. I have no clue when or how this occurred. All I know is that the metal weights on the bottom of the thermometer are not in it. It is a Hagen thermometer. What do they use as weights? What should I do? I have 25G of water that I was going to use in a WC/HUGE Plumbing project tomorrow. I searched for the broken glass and weights in the chamber of my sump that I keep it in. I saw nothing and felt nothing.

Please help. What do they use as weights? What should I do?

2. Click Here!

3. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

I had one do that a few months back and the main thing i dai was replace the sand in the surronding area and try to find all the glass just make sure that the red stick in the middle didnt break and you should be ok

4. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Mine was in the sump and I only kept it in one spot, the skimmer side which is BB. I still see nothing. The thermometer itself did not break. I have a reef....

5. rc_mcwaters3

you might try a magnet and see what happens also see if it got sucked into the skimmer by chance

6. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I decided to check my fuge because a few months ago I had it in there. Guess what I found....Rust. I was going to do a huge WC tomorrow AM and plumb my reactor in, but I guess I'll do it now...

7. rc_mcwaters3

sonds like a live and learn exp. to me LOL

8. Click Here!

9. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Yup, I was cursing that broken heater, now I love it. I wanted to have two types of thermometers to double test the temp, but I guess not anymore.

10. rc_mcwaters3

I have the same setup in my 20 gallon but in the DT so i might end up going to a plastic one now LOL

11. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I'm going to get a 2nd digital.

12. rc_mcwaters3

I like the digital ones but am afraide that they are not always calibrated correctly