The Turbo HF Algae Scrubber

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Sep 9, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

The new 3rd generation HF "High Flow" model algae scrubber from Turbo's Aquatics is a slick vertical algae scrubber with a number of improvements over older models. Foremost the 1.5" drain allows for faster flow rates and flow rate tuning is much easier with the included single-union ball valve. And a new metal-core LED board dissipates heat better than the older 'star' pcb so the HF models no longer require fans. Up close I was impressed by the polish and little details to aid with cleaning. For example the lights and slot pipe that diffuses water over the screen are quickly accessible and easily removed without tools. Turbo's Aquatics will fill a niche for those without DIY skills and those who want a high performance and compact ATS. Prices and specs below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The HF features the following improvements:

- Slot pipe is fully enclosed inside the box
    - Slot pipe will be easy to clean, inside and out
    - Slot pipe is indirectly connected to pump, so that the pump will not cause lifting or rotating of the slot pipe
    - Screen roughing process ensures plastic canvas is rough, deep into the screen
    - Dual-material lid is warp free (so far - long term testing still needed)
    - Lid will have built-in light blocker for slot pipe/screen junction
    - No more bulkheads - all box penetrations are tapped for threaded PVC
    - Larger side and bottom drains allow for very high flow, safely
    - New false bottom design more logically directs flow
    - New false bottom configuration allows for very high flow rate
    - Custom built 1" drain control valve for level control and drain silencing
    - Bubble blocker stops 100% of bubbles (more of an issue with high flow rates)

Flow rates are based on screen width: 35 GPH per inch is the recommended flow, 50 GPH/in is the "High Flow" recommended maximum. Can go lower than 35 GPH/in but might lower filtration capacity and require shorter or segmented photoperiod to eliminate photo saturation (yellowing or "burning" of the algae)

L2 (6" wide screen): 210 to 300 GPH
    L3 (9" wide screen): 315 to 450 GPH
    L4 (12" wide screen): 420 to 600 GPH

The LEDs are 660nm Deep Red with 445nm Royal Blues in a ratio of 6:2, but the blues run at 1/2 current so the ratio is technically 6:1

MSRP (price includes ATS, lights and cleaning kit)

L2 $399
    L3 $489
    L4 $549

[​IMG]

More:
    Now Taking Orders for The Turbo HF Algae Scrubber

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

4. vtecintegra

vtecintegra Fire Worm

Very nice. I built mine a long time ago with a similar design. Acrylic box with LEDs on heatsinks on each side. I use 6 red and 1 royal blue and the algae grows really well. This design should produce really great results. Much more detail incorporated with this than what I did.

5. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Those are very, very nice. Excellently engineered piece of equipment.

Pricy, but I'm sure it's well worth the $ in the long run due to performance and ease of maintenance.

Excellent design. I'd love to build one someday.

...Wonder how much he'd be able to come down on the price if he offered completely kits you have to build from scratch... shipping could be less too maybe?

Think of the Avast Marine Skimmer, "you build" option they offer.

6. Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics 3reef Sponsor

I've considered having a DIY acrylic kit, but it is actually a complicated build. I have developed jigs to make everything line up. It's like building a compressed aquarium, allowable tolerances really drop. I sent a kit to someone with experience and he concurred.

But, that doesn't mean I have completely ruled out the possibility. However, I would have to make the parts a lot easier to assemble, like making them injection molded and interlocking or something like that.

7. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

whats the benefit of having the drain pipe on the side rather than out the bottom?

8. Click Here!

9. Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics 3reef Sponsor

That is the secondary/emergency drain. There is a primary drain on the bottom of the unit. That has a false bottom over it to prevent algae from growing down into that drain and clogging it.

Also you can valve back the flow out of the bottom drain to make the unit run silent, and depending on a few factors, you can 'tune' it perfectly or divert a small percentage of flow out the side drain, similar in nature to how a Herbie overflow drain works.