The truth about a brain?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by April Hope, Oct 21, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

I need the skinny on brains! In my tank I have a beautiful open brain that is huge and puffy and beautiful normally. Well not anymore! For the last like 3 weeks it's all squished up and won't expand. I haven't seen any critters picking on it. I have it sitting on a piece of pvc. The parameters are:
    PH: 8.0
    Ammonia: 0-0.25
    Nitrites: 0
    Nitrates: 5.0-10 (hard to tell)
    SG: 1.022
    Salinity: 29 ppt

It is on the bottom of the tank in full light, I would say moderate just due to the depth, and very low flow.

I have seen my tang fish slap it a lot! Could that be it? What other information can I provide? Here are before and after pictures.

2. Click Here!

3. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

Here's the pictures.

Attached Files:

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Why is your salinity so low? It should be around 1.025. It will be hard to keep a proper calcium alk. and mag. level with a lower salinity. Please test those values as this is most likely the problem.

DSC reef likes this.
  5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Calcium alkalinity and magnesium help seeing as it's a hard coral.

6. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

Well Vinney I don't have a good answer. Maybe I misunderstand how to read it. I thought this whole time this was proper. Here a pic. Educate me.

Attached Files:

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I keep my at 1.026 or 35 ppt.

I see you just set up your new tank. The transfer to a new tank may be a reason also.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I wouldn't say 1.022 is "so low." I think anywhere from 1.022-1.026 is fine for most corals, just understand that as you go lower, there will also be less calcium, alkalinity, and trace elements in the water.

That being said, it'd definitely be more beneficial to keep it higher.

It's probably just stressed from the transfer, especially if the salinity was .002 off or more, assuming you didn't acclimate it.

10. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

Maybe huh! We are working on the salinity issue currently! We don't mix our own water yet. Our next big purchase is an RODI water filter. We did just add some extra salt and will do tomorrow as well so we don't shock the system.

We acclimated it but maybe not correctly. We actually acclimated almost everything. It's probably just the stress and then the salinity issue. Thanks everyone.

It doesn't really look unhealthy. No "coral" showing.

Vinnyboombatz and DSC reef like this.
  11. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

So raise the salinity I would top off with SW until it is at your goal amount. This should be a slow process but if you have to top off a lot of water in a day you may want a lower salinity to top off with. Nothing good happens fast.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  12. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I am pretty sure the O.P. is interested in keeping her water at beneficial levels.:rolleyes:

Corailline and DSC reef like this.