'The Todd'........Overflow

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Todd_Sails, Sep 17, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Hello all,

This is my version of the BA, and the Herbie combined;

I call it,

"The Todd"

Works like this:
    I had bought a 180 with 2 x holes for a 1.5 I.D. Bulkhead already horizontal in a top corner.

I added the C2C overflow myself to the upper back out of glass.

This is silent, has it's own 'emergency' overflow- if/when the water rises in the overflow
    the tip of the black hose goes under water turning the Secondary whole in to a full siphon
    1.5" drop 9.5ft to my sump beneath.
    Normally, this line just trickles down to the sump- taking up the slight extra while the 'primary' line with the gate valve- stays at full siphon.
    No matter what the 'primary' line is running- the secondary will always flow- unobstructed down to the sump.
    The 'primary' runs at full siphon by restricting the flow to closely almost match the flow of the RP. The rest going down the secondary which also pulls a bit of air into the secondary thru the black tube. Again, if/when the water level rises in the C2C, the black hose goes underwater and turn the 'secondary' into a Full siphon, quickly emptying the C2C.- I"ve of course tested this numerous times by shutting off the 'primary', and it works great, and is silent.
    The outer Sanitry 90 is a 1.5" I.D. Fernco Fitting- before you bash it, I even talked to the lead engineer at Fernco- It's Reef Safe!
    [​IMG]
    The Rubber sanitery 90's/3-way also takes all the pressure off the glass/bulkhead!- I know- Damn brilliant idea! Again- others used them too with no problems.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is my 180
    [​IMG]

Again,
    I did it this way for two main reasons:
    1. The 180 I picked up like new already had the 2 x 1.5 I.D. bulkheads drilled in it
    2. After reading and getting feedback from others who did it like this- I knew it worked.

RoloSaez likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Todd... once again, thanks for posting all the info on your tank. As you know, I am planing a coast to coast on my 220 and it is great to see closeups on how you did things. I like the Fernco fitting to take the pressure off the bulkhead fitting. On some of the bean animal setups that i have seen, there is the primary suction, the secondary trick overflow and then a third emergency overflow. I assume you believe the third line is excessive. I take it there is a valve on the primary overflow to regulate the flow so that there is always suction correct? Can you give the dimensions of the overflow box? I assume it is just large enough to accommodate the pipes. It also appears as if you do not use any type of "rake" at the top to keep the critters out. Have you had any issues with that? Sorry for all the questions!!

4. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

If you look up "The Todd" in Tampa you would get very different results. Looks awesome. I like it because it doesn't take up a lot of real estate.

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Ingenuity in this hobby never ceases to amaze me

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

You are correct. However I don't have a third hole/drain b/c, 1- my 180 came with 2 holes drilled in the top near one corner.
    2- I was going to drill a 3rd hole- and was PM'd by others that were using 2 large bore holes like this this way and it worked well- thus I tried it and it does in fact work well.
    I posted a picture of my gate valve I'm using, so yes the primary has a valve and works exactly as you say.
    My overflow box in the top/back is 72" x 4.5' x 4.5" approximately. I wanter enhough room for the large 90degree elbows in the overflow. there's more than enough room.
    And so far, I have had 2 fish go 'over the overflow', and end up in my large filter bag in the sump.
    Snails go in and out, and I have found one large hermit crab in there as well- I replaced him back to the DT part. I intended on putting up some black eggcrate vertically at the front.
    I haven't yet however. The fish seem to stay out, and I like the snails in the overflow some cleaning it.
    I do have the eggcrate- haven't placed it yet, and may not ever.
    Thanks for the questions.

Thanks for the kind works about my tank, I'll have to look up The Todd in Tampa.

Thanks, and I feel I fuse what others have done, tweak it a bit to fit my budget and system.

Billme likes this.
  7. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

It's an adult store in Tampa. LOL that's why I was laughing. They have radio commercials about this place, Billboards and everything here.

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I should get them to market my overflow!

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

And, just so nothing that would clog my 1.5" I.D. secondary, or the siphon primary for that matter, I slipped a piece of egg crate in the trough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This way, it is extremely unlikely that it will clog/overflow the DT top.

11. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Thanks for the reply and the pictures. I like the egg crate in the overflow instead of something blocking the flow in to the overflow itself. The whole design is very well thought out and simple. If you had it to do over again, is there anything you would change?

12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

NOt really.

Another option is to make the C2C much less wide in the tank, have the water go thru at least to holes/bulkheads- to a large but shorter box on the back that the drain tubes are hooked to.
    I think this style has been referred to as the 'ghost overflow'. I didn't want the outer box on mine.

There are many other ingenius designs- many others, albeit, less common.

Todd