The Todd Mod for the Jabeo WP pumps!

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Todd_Sails, Sep 29, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

So I've been thinking of cleaning my WP's (haven't since I've had them),
    and I've wanted to mod the fins/grate to open the flow and keep the detritus from forming.
    I noticed that the newer RW has much wider spacing on the fins, etc.

Today, Dale(Tech 1) was over, stuck his hand in front of one of my WP40's, and sugggested I clean them.

Well, after he left, I had some time and took them out one at a time;
    briefly soaked in vinegar/water and got my toothbruch going.
    I figured out that the outer/front grille comes off my simply twisting.

I looked thru my tools and choose some suitable cutters, needle noses to get the task done.
    I snipped the crossbraces on the front grill, and used a thin paif of needlenoses to
    grab every other fin and twist it and pull and it broke right off.
    Not once did it rip/crack the housing around it.

When I took the impellers off/out, they had very little buildup on the shaft, the inner mag, or the impeller itself.
    It was plastic or ceramic, and didn't break off when the outer housing was removed replaced.
    Having rebuilt Koralias b/c they failed, stuck, or always started backasswards- this pumps' quality of build and materials is far superior.
    And, when I went to restart them again? Perfect, and forwards! I didn't have to bump the hjousing to get it to start,etc.

I got both pumps done, cleaned, put back and flowing in 30min or less- with the MOds to the fins.

Talk about FLOW! My fish are loving it! I mean I've had these since the 180 was up, but with the closed fins, and the small slots getting a little dirty, the flow was really reduced.

The old design- was working well

[​IMG]

The operating room table/counter during the procedure

[​IMG]

The WP40 Todd Mod

[​IMG]

I highly recommend this! Easy, free, fast

2. Click Here!

3. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Since the unit kinda sets/clamps into the mount, does this effect how it can be positioned or how well it stays in the spot it is needed to point to? Thinking of doing the same to mine now.

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

No- no problems

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Did these for my koralia's a while back, feels like double the flow. http://3reef.com/threads/pics-koralia-mod-cutting-out-every-other-bar-from-the-grate-cover.151841/

A word of caution to anyone thinking of doing this, If you run the pump on a wave making mode, it will break the front grille. And because you modded them/cut them yourself, the company will NOT send a replacement if you tell them you modded them, If you lie they typically will, but that's a morality thing for me.

Ideally I would only do this to pumps that are designed to run at full power all the time, I ran my pumps on a wave maker and it shattered the front grille (causing the impeller to fall out and rendering the pump useless).

6. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Awesome! I think you should have a section somewhere which has all your diy and mods in one place.

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

OK- Keep in Mind- VA is talking about a Koralia (Worthless IMHO), The WP pumps come with their own controller and are usually used on one of the wave settings- MIne are currently and have been on the W2 mode.

A sticky for Todd's DIY's! It'll never happen
    I do have a few that work well, and I"ll bet I come up with some more good ones too!

8. Click Here!

9. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

Todd, he is referring to the stop and start wearing on the housing, you took out a lot of support that the housing had to keep everything together. I remember when a lot of people jumped on board with doing this to there hydors and a lot of people had issues. hopefully the WP pumps can handle this. Keep us updated!

10. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Thanks Todd. I also use WP s and have to clean them constantly! Even thought the shaft and housing look clean when I take them out, it seems to almost double the flow as soon as Im done. Im wondering if removing every third fin may give more flow but better support. A compromise mod if you will.

11. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

There's only one way to find out....

mdbostwick likes this.
  12. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

I cleaned my WP40s for hte first time in over a year of ownership. very little buildup on them, but just enough for alittle noisy vibration. i didnt mod them in any way as they are WAY more than my tank needs anyways. I have a pair of some of the first released ones. they work wonderfully.