The thing on my glass...

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by daeraelle, Nov 12, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. daeraelle

daeraelle Plankton

So, this tiny thing which started out as barely the size of a pinhead two days ago to being almost the size of a pencil eraser today is still hanging on my glass, doing well for itself I imagine. I just started my first saltwater tank, and I'm in the middle of a fishless cycle, so of course I'm afraid it's something horribly bad. I hope it's not... It's hard to get a good picture because it's stuck to the glass, if it was on a rock or something it would be much easier. It's right where the strongest current is hitting the glass, and it just gets pushed around all day, but apparantly it doesn't mind as it hasn't bothered to fall off... or move...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

!st of all welcome to 3reef!!!! looks like aptasia to me (glass anemone) They are bad get it out , [​IMG][/IMG]does it look like that at all?

4. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

yeah ! Follow matt's advice and remove this hitchhiker before You can... Apitasia anemones are very interesting, however under certain conditions they can be harmful to your fish.

Please refer to this reference: Click here

1 person likes this.
  5. daeraelle

daeraelle Plankton

thank you! I can't really tell, it's so small the current is blowing it to the side so much the tentacles are mainly pushed together. I would make sense that it's aptasia because this is my tank after all, lol. It's only been up and running for 6 days and I've already got a problem. I got another picture, and I tried to get one from the front, but no luck. It's better to get rid of it anyway. This is going to be fun, I'll probably end up with a tank full of it. :tongue4:

[​IMG]

6. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

yes carefully take it out a they reproduce fast and i mean FAST!!!

I bought some cheap corals from a lady who broke her tank down and there was a couple on the rock now (3mths) later im still finding those little !! you know what i mean !! they can sting corals etc and as camilsky said fish aswell. If they start coming back get some joes juice and nuke them !!

southern comfort aye !!!! mmmm medicine?for colds etc???

7. daeraelle

daeraelle Plankton

I've got some algae growing on my glass already, but I'm scared to clean it off, if I hit the thing I don't want to end up with an aiptasia garden.

That's what I always do for my colds, works every time. ;)

8. Click Here!

9. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

If You don't have joe's juice try something extra alkaline: like calcium hydroxide, calcium carbonate or concentrated buffer to boost the pH. Try to apply it directly into the vicinity of apitasia using a syringe (avoid metal needles!) or long glass pipette. Avoid mechanical damage of apitasia's body.

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

That doesnt look like a glass anemone. You might wanna start up another little nano scrape that guy off the glass and out it in there. It looks like a baby LTA.

11. daeraelle

daeraelle Plankton

I haven't touched it as of yet. It's not growing any bigger. I'm just going to keep an eye on it for now. Since there's nothing else in the tank, it can't hurt. I was going to wait, because it says when injecting them with something it's MUCH easier when they're big, and this guy is so small. He does get beat up by the current, I would move it, but then he might move off somewhere I can't see him.

12. daeraelle

daeraelle Plankton

Well, it appears to be shriveling up and dying. So... it must not have been anything bad. If it's bad you normally can't kill it with a blow torch and gasoline. I guess I'm at the end of my cycle, I had a huge algae bloom and my nitrates dropped to zero. My little anemone thingie stopped growing and this morning he was covered in rusty algae. Poor thing.