the situation

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Dingo, Feb 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

I have a purple monti digi... except its reallly brown!
    so i moved it up a little to more light to see what i could get. well it turned purple on the polyps, however the base started to bleach and die :(
    the spot I put it in was significantly higher flow. I am thinking that this is what caused the bleaching?
    this morning I have moved it down to the sand bed and it looks like the bleaching has stopped progressing or slowed down. what do you think about this? am i going to have to frag and hope it doesnt keep dieing or should it stop the bleaching now

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Could be Rapid Tissue Necrosis. Any chance of pics? SPS can tolerate very high flow.

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

I dont think it's rtn... I'll know by tonight tho. And the flow there was crazy (k4 very strong stream). Keep in mind it's a monti, not an acropora

5. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

how long have you had it? mine is the same thing except my lights are now so blue so it looks brown. so i would say gradually move it to the top over a week (thats what i did) mine is on the highest rock and is fine now.

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

what is your phosphate level at and other parems. I noticed with my SPS that if those levels, esp phosphate gets up, they will start to turn brown.

They probably bleached because of increase light when you raised it up. What kind of light do you have? I would get it off the sand bed and place it back to where it was originally

1 person likes this.
  7. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Phosphates are zero and my lights are 175 watt halide... I'm installing my new 250 watt ballast next week and I'm getting a new brand Of bulb...

8. Click Here!

9. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

It hasnt progressed since i put it down on the sandbed. I think it was the flow