The Sailfin Tang&Severe fin erosion

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Siddique, May 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

My sailfin tang has some really bad fin erosion. It remained untreated for several months, I was hoping he would get better through clean water and water changes.
    His fins are almost, if not already down to bone. I've heard that increasing his nourishment by feeding nori and macro algae, would help him regain his fins. Is this true or should I begin medicating?
    If so, what med? I was thinking melafix and pimafix.

2. Click Here!

3. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

4. SaltyFred

SaltyFred Flamingo Tongue

Hello Siddique, I am sorry to hear of your misfortune. I have never really had an experience with fin rot as extensive as your case sounds. However, with that said I feel that it is not entirely too late for your Tang. I am a college student working at a local fish shop to pay the bills and more often then not people ask the same melafix or pimafix question.

Melaxfix is generally used in your type of case. Melafix is used to treat cloudy eyes, ulcers and open wounds I beleive, and of course tail and or fin rot.
    Pimafix is for both internal and external infections however it tends to do especially well with cases of cotton diseases that tend to infect mouths, gills, etc.
    Although Melafix is more geared towards fin and tale rot I do know that if you use both products together the regain of fins can be really quick. Be sure to check the back of the bottles for dosages if you decide to use both. If you decide that you only want to use one definately go with the Melafix. I would medicate. Plain and simple. Like I stated before I have never really come across a cases as bad as you are explaining and I have seen A LOT of cases of fin rot at work. Natural ways of feeding a good diet to the fish and such should be something that you do regardless if your Tang is sick or not. It is essential to the Tangs health that you supplement some type of algae into its diet at least a couple-few times a week. I would however not rely on this to cure your Tang. Dont worry though...not all is lost and best part about Melafix and Pimafix is they are natural :)

5. SaltyFred

SaltyFred Flamingo Tongue

I also forgot to add that you are going to want to take a look at your water parameters. Fin rot is linked to poor water chem so make sure all of your levels are in check or you will be sent back to square one after you heal the little guy.