The right clam

Discussion in 'Clams' started by ZachB, Jun 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

So, my tank is establishing nicely and everything is healthy, happy and thriving.

I'd like to get myself a clam. I'm finding it hard to find one, though. All the LFS around here suck pretty badly, never get nice ones in, and only get clam shipments infrequently. Judging by the specimens they do get, I don't want to special order one either.

That being said, and this being my first clam, do you all think a crocea or maxima would be a good choice? I want one with brilliant colors. Also where would the best place to buy one be? I think I will be stuck with an online purchase. Budget is $100 or so for this 'lil dude.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi Zach
    Id be tempted to look over the sponsors sites as some offer discounts to 3 reef members
    and I know I have seen clams on offer on at least 2 sites here and I also know those sites have been getting postive feedback posts in their repsective sponsors forums

Steve

1 person likes this.
  4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

With you lighting, you should be able to handle the more stringent lighting demands required by either a Crocea or Maxima. Depending on the size as well as the class of clam, a $100.00 should get you atleast a couple small ones or a nice sized 3-5 inch clam.
    Remember that lighting isn't everything when it comes to maintaining a clam for any longevity in a closed system. I have 9 clams(1 Squamosa, 1 Crocea, 1 Derasa and 6 Maxima's) in my 125 ranging from 2" to 9" and each is uder different lighting scdenarios, however my water has some nitrates and phosphates in it which i attribute greatly to my clams success in my tank.
    Make sure that your tank will support the clam as far as bioload and livestock also. You don't want anything picking at or feeding on the clams delicate mantle or other parts of the clam such as their Byssal opening! Bristle worms and a variety of parasitic snails can make a meal of a snail in due time!
    Clams make a fine addition to an aquarium, especially, like you said with some of the more colorful and patterned species of clam in the ultra class for example.
    Best of luck to you and you should be able to find a clam rather easilly. Try sponsors sites as well as Clamsdirect!!!!

1 person likes this.
  5. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Thank you for the advice! The inhabitants of my tank should leave the clam alone. I don't have any fish that nip at corals or clams, and as far as I know, no parasites or anything that would otherwise consume or bother the clam. I've wanted a clam since the day I got in the hobby and have chosen the residents accordingly. Not too worried about the bioload either, as I don't have many fish and the ones I have are small. Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the clam provide some natural filtration (ie, filter feeding)?

You attribute the phosphates and nitrates in your water to the success of your clams? Doesn't phosphate slow calcification, and couldn't this stunt the growth of the clam? I understand nutrients in the water may help them as they do filter feed to an extent but would you be able to elaborate on this, as my po4 is at 0 and nitrates are around 10.

Thank you both for the sponsor recommendation! I will look around and see what I can find. I just looked on clams direct and there are couple fine maximas that I am tempted to order. Do they offer a 3reef discount?