The Reef Savvy 8'x3' 300 Gallon Rimless

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Matt Rogers, Sep 24, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

It was an aquarium that demanded your attention. It didn't have a bunch of fancy chalice corals or the like. In fact, it was quite empty and without any water at all. Yet anyone walking within 20 feet of it was drawn as if this massive aquarium had its own gravitational pull. I am speaking of the Reef Savvy 8'x3'x20.25" - 300 gallons and rimless. Rimless! If you were at MACNA, you saw it. You had to. All aisles ended at this monolith. At least for me as I went back again and again… just to behold the vastness and possibilities. Reef Savvy had created a tank that haunts me to this day. Full story below.

[​IMG]
    Reef Savvy 96"L x 36"W x 20.25"H approx. 300G 3 sides low iron, double Phantom Bottom. Dual Ghost Overflow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let's just start with the glass. 3/4" thick on all sides. But perhaps the trick to such a large rimless aquarium is the strong foundation. The bottom of the tank is around 2" thick and triple laminated! 3/4" + black laminate + 3/4" + black laminate + nearly 1/2" (11mm) PVC. Three different sealants were required to put that together. I couldn't imagine how much that weighs so I had to ask… around 1200 pounds! That is empty. Now add 300 gallons of water. That's over a ton of water in a 1200 lb. tank. What a beast. Sure you've seen a bigger tank at your local aquarium or some hotel, but this is a real reef tank for hobbyists. Only 20" deep, with built-in "ghost" overflows and rimless. I loved it.

Another tank by Reef Savvy

A Reef Savvy External Ghost Overflow

That 8'x3' tank was so awe-inspiring it sold before day 1 of MACNA had begun.

I am not surprised.

I had to look up Reef Savvy upon my return. They are based in Miami and family-owned. A nice guy named Felix, his wife and his dad making all the tanks themselves. How great is that? You just want to support them. They are obviously passionate about what they do. Just be prepared to wait a bit. There currently is a six month lead time on builds and their inbox is a bit slammed since MACNA. But some things are worth the wait.

matt

More:
    Reef Savvy

Reef Savvy Aquarium Design and Fabrication

Address:
    14229 SW 142 ST
    Miami, Florida 33186

Office Hours:
    Monday - Friday
    11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m

Showroom Visits:
    By Appointment Only

Closed Saturday & Sunday

PH: 800-652-4918
    FX: 800-652-4920

Email:
    [email protected]

2. Click Here!

3. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Yea. that is one awesome tank.. Reef Savvy is one of hte premier tank builders in my opinion. Couple that with what Synergy Reef is doing with the Ghost overflows and their wicked sumps with radiation green trims... WOW.

4. Siptang

Siptang Feather Duster

Matt, Reef Savvy is owned and ran by a friend of mine, Felix.

I'm going to do a completely exclusive reef savvy video soon. If you have any questions to ask him, let me know here and I will be sure to ask for you.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That is fantastic Siptang! I will do so. It would also be neat to get a few questions from people here as well. ;) I look forward to seeing the video.

matt

6. Siptang

Siptang Feather Duster

no worries. get it going and I will get it done. ;)

7. mixer911

mixer911 Plankton

Awesome writeup! Reef Savvy is definitely top notch. I also own a Reef Savvy.

8. Click Here!

9. frankdontsurf

frankdontsurf Astrea Snail

Lol, I had no idea. This is one of my favorite LFS's Album 1 « Gallery 34 « Portfolio | Reef Savvy I go there at least twice a week. All my fish have come from there. No wonder Andrew looks cranky when I just walk in and out, he's got bills to pay! The in store display is 10000x nicer than those pictures.

Some guys want muscle cars and vacations around the world, I want to throw my 401k into a ReefSavvy set up.

Edit: I'm 5'11 and I'd have to stand on my tippy toes to get a fish with a net out of those.

10. Siptang

Siptang Feather Duster

which store is that? Looks very nice!! I want to visit!!

11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I got a quote for a rimless(60X 30X 20 tall..155gallon) from them. They're not cheap... but love the idea of a ghost overflow:

Hi Brian,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. The aquarium you're inquiring about is approximately 155 gallons and will be built out of 3/4" glass with a high polish and beveled edges. The price is $2,865.00. This includes the blue background, front panel low iron, and Ghost overflow.
    I ended up buying a 230 rimless new but custom built by a local. I have to build my own overflow and it's not starphire but $2000 cheaper. If I had the bux I would surely go for the reef savvy.

12. frankdontsurf

frankdontsurf Astrea Snail