The Puratek Water Level Controller

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Sep 23, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Puratek is the latest to enter the ballooning high-end ATO market with the Puratek Auto Level Controller. The PUR-7100 comes with a submersible pump and the PUR-7101 comes with a solenoid valve for attaching directly to your RO filter. This is a sophisticated and highly configurable ATO with unique electrical field sensors that can detect water through glass or acrylic up to 3/8" thick. After calibrating the sensitivity of the sensor, you can also program pump run time over the normal level mark to lessen on/off cycles. Puratek also had adjustable delayed on times help manage any water turbulence that may occur in the sump. Want to go further? When connected to the Puratek Insight 24/7 controller you can get email notifications and log how often you are adding water. Specs and manual attached.

[​IMG]

Features
    • Maintains consistent salinity
    • Non-intrusive sensors that attach to outside of aquarium or sump, so no worry about sticky or leaking mechanical sensors.
    Also snails or crabs will not interfere with operation
    • 85 dB Audible alarm to notify of abnormal high or low water level or if the maximum water make up time has been exceeded
    • Standby switch – Temporarily disable level control while performing maintenance; for example, water changes or cleaning
    that could false trigger sensors
    • Alarm reset/program mode switch – silence alarm or initiate program to allow custom settings for max run time, hysteresis
    and level sensor selection
    • Supports up to four level sensors for normal (makeup control), low, high and top-off reservoir levels
    • Controls top-off water pump in makeup water reservoir or solenoid valve for connection directly to R/O filtration system
    • Low voltage 12VDC control for safety and low power consumption
    • Programmable max-run-timer counters to prevent top-off water running too long in the event sensor fails
    • Programmable hysteresis setting to control time delays in activating alarms due to water ripple or other disturbances in the
    water that could cause false alarms
    • Status LED for each level sensor for easy sensor status and program mode indicators
    • Processor controlled to maximize flexibility and expandability in feature offering and upgrades
    • Interfaces to Insight 24/7 Monitor/Controller for complete system integration for:
    o Audible and remote email alarming
    o Maximize system control in the event water levels are incorrect – shut pumps or chillers off to prevent damage
    o Notifications of when top-off water is being added
    o Keep log of how often top-off water is being added
    o Perform firmware upgrades

Getting up close I was impressed with Puratek ATO. It appeared to hold a line with similar thresholds to the Tunze. In other words, around an 1/8" range for minimal swings. The unofficial MSRP I was quoted was in the $250 range, also in line with Tunze. The Puratek Water Level Controllers ship with one 'normal' level sensor. If you want high and low sensors or one for your reservoir, they are available for an additional cost. Puratek has been pretty tight-lipped on how these electrical field sensors actually work. If you look at the attached manual you can see they require a little bit of calibration for sensitivity. And they suggest monthly cleaning of the glass to keep them accurate. They also go on with double sided tape rather than magnets so be sure to get sensor level the 1st time as adjusting may be difficult afterward.

matt

More:
    Aquarium Auto Level Controller Puratek

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Now THAT is slick!

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Aye. I agree.

I've attached a price sheet. These are available now!

matt

Attached Files:

5. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Matt,

FWIW, I bet they use Hall Effect devices to sense the fluid level.

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Very nice set up.

7. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

As does the cam angle sensor in my car, for a fact no one cares about :)

I do like this though. Still not quite fool proof, but close enough.

8. Click Here!

9. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Matt had mentioned that the mfr was kinda "closed-lipped" about how they sense the levels, so I tossed it out there, cuz that may be how they're sensing the level. I guess that comes from being a microelectronic components weenie by day...;)

Like you mentioned, it sure beats mechanical methods.