the proud father

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by sostoudt, Aug 31, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i am now the proud father of 4 - 6 baby guppies. i read online they can be fed crushed flakes and egg yolk. does anybody have any expierence with the yolk it seems really messy. i would appreciate and tips on feeding.

2. Click Here!

3. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

always crushed flakes for mine, if youhave 4 or six you should have hundreds, if you got them seperated in time. The mothers will eat them.

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

yea there not seperated. the mom may have eaten them. the ones that are left a pretty big for fry.

5. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

Moms will eat their babies but if this is Moms first "litter" than she will have a very small amount of babies. Could be as little as 20. Each litter she has she will have more each time. I am to the point where my moms and dads don't eat them any more. I have a 150 gall tank and can't count how many babies I have! Just keep them well feed, just flake is fine and they shouldn't eat too many and the babies will grow. When I get new babies I put a bunch of flake in a baggie and crush it until it is really small/fine bits. Also make sure you have a fry plant. This is a plant that is finely packed that mom can't get into and the babies can hide. I have one floating upside down and one on the bottom so depending on the baby they can hide high or low! Have fun. They can get out of hand sometimes. I have them to feed my needlenose gar.

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i would seem the female wasn't done last night i woke up to find another 20 guppies. now i know how parents feel when they go to the doctor and he say congratulations its sixtuplets

7. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

sostoudt,
    Congratulations Papa. You're just across the bridge from me. When the kids get a little bigger you can bring them by to swim with the turtles if you like.:devilish:

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

we might see about that in a year or so becuase it appears the that neither of the parents are cannibalistic, and if the babies end up not being cannibalistic also im gonna be swimming in guppies.

10. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

If your tank has been going for awhile there will be a lot of microscopic life that the fry will eat.