The new board for newbies!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Matt Rogers, Aug 15, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Ryan suggested this the other day and it made a lot of sense ... so here it is - a newbie board! :thumbsup1:

I moved a lot of threads into here and will be removing the 'moved' links from the general board after a few days.

Karla is our new mod! :thumbsup2: Yeah!
    Karla has been a tremendous help on this site to me and many of you with her vast knowledge of this hobby. I am lucky to have her around.

Making her a moderator on this board was a no-brainer!!

Yea Karla! ;D ;D wahoo!!!!! Wahoo!!
    :thumbsup1:

2. Click Here!

3. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

thanks matt :thumbsup2: :razz: :thumbsup1: very cool

4. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Hi Everyone I just set up my tank last week I have a 75 Gal I want to set up as a Reef tank, I have 200lbs About 4"s deep of SouthDown sand, I am using Oceanic Natural Sea Salt Mix, For Lighting I have a CustomSeaLife PC-Moon-lite with 2 65 Watt 10,000K bulbs and 2 65Watt Ultra-Actinic's with 4 moon lights, For Filtration I am using a trickle filter with a 500gph pump, a Berlin turbo Skimmer, and a Angstrom 2537 8 watt UV filter. only have 25lbs LR so far my question is my water is fogy I have added charcoal to the top of the trickle filter and I put some in the overflow it has been in there for 3 days and I don't see much of a change. The thing is I have been doing a lot of reading on this form and research on the web and Most people recommend not to rinse the sand before adding it to the tank ( So I didn't)  I used RO+DI  water from my   6 STAGE RO+DI  100 GPD WATER FILTER and I pored it in on top of a plate so I would not disturb the sand that much. do you think that not rinsing the sand may be what is causing the fogy water? And if so how long do you think it will take to clear up?

[smiley=beer.gif]

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah it's probably the sand. It can take a week or so for the foggyness to go away.

I always rinse my dry sand first because I can't stand that.

You can put fiber floss at the top of your wet/dry. That will clear it up.

By the way, I noticed a couple of your posts are off topic of the original thread. Please just start new posts. Thanks. ;) :)

6. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Sorry about that I guess That is part of being new to all this Thank you for the help This is a very helpful sight I have been doing a lot of reading and learning a lot ( Sorry Again about posting off topic ) :-[ PS I did also add floss I guess I just need to give it more time

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

No worries! Just pointing it out... give the sand a little time, let me guess, you got SouthDown?

8. Click Here!

9. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Yup SouthDown Every one says it's great

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah it's great for the money. I like bigger stuff myself, but it's nice and white. BUT, it is the WORST for making your tank cloudy initially as you found out.

11. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

YES I DID I was worried it may be the salt as I used to have a fish only tank years ago but I got out of it for a while and I am just starting back up again and I never used Oceanic Natural Sea Salt Mix before and I was getting a little nervous

12. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Flectch,
    ever do a road trip?... Utica is that not the same place as the movie "Road Trip" was made?