the monster on my floor.

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by ckindig125, Feb 7, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ckindig125

ckindig125 Plankton

right at the moment I am kind of stuck I need a better filter be for I go any further, I want to go refugium but not sure who, I like ADHI for the layout of the refuge 45 dual inlets is nice, but trigger systems is also up that way as well. Any thoughts? at this piont i will move this to the filters thread.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I would ditch the bioballs and filter system that you appear to have. There are a lot of threads for building your own 3 section sump/fuge which is a very inexpensive way to go. Obviously the size of your tank and the size of your space underneath will dictate what you do.

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Yup, I would just ditch the bioballs and turn that section into a refugium. You already have the light right there, so it should be quite easy to do. Nice, simple, and free!

5. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Two of my favorite words…simple and free!! don't hear them that much in this hobby!! Seize them when you can!!

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I have the same filter for my reef but a little larger. I removed the bio balls and put live rock in its place. I broke up a lot of extra live rock I had and it works great. Another free option to think of.

7. Oryo

Oryo Feather Duster

I have the same filter but that is a great idea replacing the bio balls with live rock.

I'm guessing this would more beneficial for the tank?

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Its worked great for me, no nitrates and params always stable.

10. ckindig125

ckindig125 Plankton

hey guys thanks for the advice, I found an ADHI in town for 220.00 is it worth that by the it is missing all but one BH fittin. It is model 30

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  11. ckindig125

ckindig125 Plankton

well got the plex today for my sump and got it put togather, i will water test in a couple of days. also ended up with a new ASM 5 skimmer for 95 bucks, and some evo lights. Yeah found out skimmer was a g2 but thats ok still bigger then what I have currently.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  12. arrivalanche

arrivalanche Bristle Worm

After having a refugium I would say that I would never waste that space again. Id much rather have a monster skimmer in the space. Unless you are running a refugium equal to to your display it really isnt worth much.