The mini fridge chiller

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by mikejrice, Dec 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Seems like a lot of work when you can pick up a 1/10, 1/15 hp chiller for like $200 used that will work better and will be safer in the long run than using a mini fridge.

2. Click Here!

3. bvlester

bvlester Plankton

I know a guy that uses a mini fridge as a chiller I've taken alook at his setup. He has a t and ball velve off his return line when needed he opens the ball valve and water goes through the minifridge and empties in to the sump keeps his tank cool. He uses 1/2" tubing for the line it is just coiled up inside the fridge you could put a couple of beers in there as well as the tubbing. I would probably go with a bit larger fridge one with a freezer section then you could store your frozen food in ther also.
    you might as well make it as mult purpose as posible.
    Bill

4. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Seems like if you have a mini frig laying around it would work. But if you have to buy the fridge you could just get a chiller. Plus the chiller will use less electricity seeing how it only runs when needed.

5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

The problem with the mini fridge is the compressor is very small and not designed for continous duty. It will burn out quickly with much of a load. You can only cool a very small system effectively. Another hurdle is plastic tubing is horrible when it comes to heat transfer, it acts as an insulator and does not give up the heat or gain the cold very good. In order to get enough sufrace area to do you any good you have a pile of tubing which requires more pump (wattage equal heat remember) to force the water through due to friction head loss.
    A simple clip on fan has much more cooling capacity due to evaporation and draws much less power.

1 person likes this.
  6. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Never thought about the pump adding heat, good point.