The Mantis is back!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Caseyds7NY, Apr 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blaz3dup

Blaz3dup Feather Duster

Why just kill him?? I read this all the time.... if you aren't dedicated enough to at least try to catch the little guy alive, why even be in the hobbie?? Honestly they are one of the coolest little creatures that will ever enter your tank..... its sad to see so many killed (in their own home mind you) just because people don't want them in "their" live rock..... that was "mantis'" rock long before it was "yours".

Nothing personal.... I just have a real soft spot for these little guys

Some are fine to stay really, as marlinman stated. He has had one in his reef for awhile, yes they may eat an invert or two but that's what they do! Just like feeding a crab/shrimp to your trigger IMO

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. BradJo9

BradJo9 Astrea Snail

smack him on the ground real good when you get him out too, maybe an elbow drop.lol

4. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I had to capture some hitchiker gorilla crabs and found that staking out the tank at night with a red lens flashlight really helped. They would scurry back to the cracks when a white light would hit the but were not at all fazed by a red light. I was able to spear them and remove them, it still took some patience though.

5. Caseyds7NY

Caseyds7NY Fire Worm

First, if I wanted a mantis tank I wouldn't care obviously but that is not my plan. If the little guy comes quietly I will try to take him to the LFS, if he keeps destroying my tank and doing drive-bys while giving me the finger then I will drop kick him into the Hudson river.

They may be great to have, I just don't want it around. I don't want to waste my time and money buying things for my tank to have this little snot-nosed brat waddle along in the tank thinking its his own smorgasbord.

1 person likes this.
  6. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I got to say that I'm with you on this one, Casey! To start, you didn't want a mantis, it hitchhiked in your rock. I believe that you're right that if it wasn't in your plans, you should take the time now to get the little bugger out.

I would suggest, if somebody here wants it, and is willing to pay for the proper shipping requirements, do that.
    Otherwise, take it to the LFS and get some credit for it if possible. This way, the unexpected visitor may play in your favor when stocking your tank with what you really want.

+k for the effort to try to catch it.

- Mag.

7. Kelley11

Kelley11 Peppermint Shrimp

I understand where your coming from Caseyds7NY, we all have a picture in our mind of what we want our work of art to look like. Mantis shrimp can be destructive and lets face it this hobby is not cheap, losing an expensive coral, fish or shrimp can be a big hit (not to mention the emotional attachment most of us get with our fish).

I love Mantis shrimp but mine is isolated and hopefully you can catch him like you stated. I still think if you put him in your fuge he would quickly become your favorite thing and likely what you would be first to show off. My friends have spread the word faster then wild fire about mine and now everyone seems to know what a Mantis shrimp is! :) Good luck

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  8. Click Here!

9. Caseyds7NY

Caseyds7NY Fire Worm

Absolutely! I have no problem giving it away, I just want to serve him his eviction notice this weekend so I can bring home my watchman goby and his little friend.

10. Blaz3dup

Blaz3dup Feather Duster

First off I wasn't telling you to keep it in your tank, I waqs saying if you actually cared about the hobbie you wouldn't just kill as a first option.... somebody out there would appreaciate that mantis shrimp, not to mention the mantis would appreaciate it also. He's kind of in the same situation you are... he didn't want to end up in your tank just like you didn't want him in there.... just saying IMO you should try and remove him alive and trade him to your LFS or a fellow local reefer for some frags or whatnot.

Again this is just my opinion.... and nothing personal against you, I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to encourage you to catch the little devil alive....

11. Caseyds7NY

Caseyds7NY Fire Worm

No hard feelings.

As long as he doesn't take a life he will be unharmed, but if my shrimp "disappears" I will unless Rambo, The Terminator, and Chuck Norris on him.

12. Blaz3dup

Blaz3dup Feather Duster

Lol sounds like a plan!

I really do wish you luck in catching him as well....

It helps if you can isolate him into a small rock that you are able to remove and go from there... I have more methods beyond that, let me know if you would like to hear them

And thanks for being understanding Casey!