The Finest Algae

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Covey, Nov 27, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

;) Call it a flair for marketing.  But really does anyone have any opinion about which Macro Algae is best for refugiums.  I have two kinds of Calepera. in my fuge.  Also from looking around I decided to get some Chaetomorphia.  I am glad I did the Chaeto is great.  Is it just my imagination or does the Chaeto out pace the grow of the Calepera by quite a bit?  I guess it would take a real scientific type to find out for sure if there were a difference in nutrient uptake but all that growth has to be good for something any thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Re: The Finest Weed

I always heard the chaetomorpha was best because it doesn't go sexual (No Comments from the peanut gallery :D) But in my case the caulerpa grows faster. I'm not sure why, it just took off and now I have to trim it back or let the caulerpa slugs eat it. Lighting and food (phosphates). I use ro water now so the phosphates are way down, I sure hated that red slime outbreak. Ok I'm rambling, what was the original question? Thoughts, It looks like you have them both, trim back the ones you don't like.
    Jim

4. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

i use chateo. It seems pretty good. i hated the cyno stage too. mine lasted for like 2 months. it's was so ugly and horrible. i'm happy now that it 's over.

5. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Diver what kind of caulerpia do you have?

6. Diver_1298

I have Caulerpa Racemosa, Prolifera & Mexicana. Along with a 2 fist size amount of Chaetomorpha Algae.
    Jim

7. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I have chaeto and mexicana. I am going to have to start triming the chaeto. ;D. Has anyone ever grown this stuff before? It is called Red Hawiian. Also nicked named "Tang Heaven" It would be nice to grow something a little more edible for the fish while we are at it.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Diver_1298

If you find some let me know, and I'll keep my eyes open for some also. I have a little tang that wants to grow up big and strong :)

10. JDM_AE86

JDM_AE86 Plankton

That red macroalgae is Gracilia..you can find it on a few online stores.. www.ipsf.com

11. Diver_1298

Thanks, I found that site yesterday while searching google. They have a lot of interesting stuff.
    Jim

12. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

All this talk about growing the best stuff. Called Mexicana and Red Hawiian and Tang Heaven. Are you sure you are growing this stuff in your refugiums...LOL

[smiley=smokin.gif]

Just kidding ;)