the dreaded ich an explination by rga

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by RGA107, Sep 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RGA107

RGA107 Astrea Snail

just to start what i am going to be talking about is not cures for ich or how to treat though if any one wants to add whats worked for them feel free and would be much apreciated i however have noticed no one realy talks about what it is, its life cycle and what it does to the poor critters in our care in hopes that the more we know about this PARISITE the better we will be equiped to handle it if and WHEN we come across it "cause knowing is half the battle" i dont pretend to know every thing there is to know about ich and am continuing my hunt for knowledge so if i leave out something or get somthing wrong polite additions and corrections are encoureged (except when it comes to my spelling)

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. RGA107

RGA107 Astrea Snail

life cycle

there are three parst to the ich life cycle

1. a free swimming tomite

2. trophozoite inside skin of fish -- forming the “whitespot” cyst

3. trophont when it leaves the host to multiply and repopulate

4. RGA107

RGA107 Astrea Snail

first part of the cycle the tomite is a microscopic free swimming form of the parisite this stage is where the parisite is most vauneralble as they have no prtective slime caoting of there own they float or swim in this stage untill comes in contact with fish where it burries into the dermal layer of the fish

5. RGA107

RGA107 Astrea Snail

trophozoite inside skin of fish -- forming the “whitespot” cyst

then once it ataches to the fish i digs itself into the skin of the host fish where it begins to feed and a cyst forms around it once it matures it detaches from the host fish taking some of the dermal layer and the fishes potective slime with it to protect it durin third and final stage

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  6. RGA107

RGA107 Astrea Snail

3. trophont when it leaves the host to multiply and repopulate

as i said in last post it takes some of the fishs protection with it for this final stage like a cacoon and then it divices and multiplies hundreds of times till it burst out of this "cacoon" to start all over again

7. RGA107

RGA107 Astrea Snail

i know i said i wasnt going to go into treatment but what i have learned i wanted to say this stages 2 and 3 are almost impos to damage due to protection from host stage 1 is the unprotected and treatable stage ich treatments that treat the fish and "remove the spots" work by iritating the fishes skin and cause it to shed and slime them off and that can be verry damaging to some fish not tomention stees full to host ich kills through stress and infection the parisite isnot that damaging it self but when in a closed system where you get a much higher parisite to fish ratio is what makes this so deadly in wild a fish will usualy encounter no more than 1 or 2 at any given time making it iritating at most but small water and hundres of parisites and only a few host the bombardment is highly sterssfull and devistateing

8. Click Here!

9. RGA107

RGA107 Astrea Snail

hope everyone has learned something let me know if you have any questions or comments or next subject matter on this topic i am going to post some more tomorow on how it affects the fish

10. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

RGA107--thank you for the article. I thought it was informative; and the scope and sequence were both satisfactory. To allay your concern; I don't find any issues with your spelling. :) I hope you'd permit me to give some constructive criticism regarding your structure.

Unfortunately, you have not used any periods or capitalization.

Speaking for myself at least, I find articles easier to read when broken into sentences. I have noticed that you DO really have sentences "in thought"--but neglected to employ them.

If you'd be kind enough to use the edit button at the bottom of your respective posts, it will allow you to add periods, and start your following sentences with capital letters. It will make reading the task of reading your informative article that much more enjoyable for other members.

Again, thanks for the information! :)