The coveted Korilia mod..how I did it

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Takitaj, Mar 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Takitaj

Takitaj Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hello all!

I couldn't find much about modding the original Korilias to work on an on/off wavemaker so I took what I could find and went to work. This mod is for those that already have the original Korilia power heads and would like to make them work quietly and correctly with an on/off wavemaker or RKL, etc.. This is not an original idea, just a change in material and specifics in lengths of tubing.

I have mine working now without hearing a peep (my tank is in my living room) and starting in the right direction every time. I have heard there will be trouble with longevity so keep that in mind. I just finished this mod so I can't report on what kind of wear you will actually see. Remeber you are doing this mod at your own risk and can't be held responsible for any damage that may occur. (disclaimer :))

I tried this mod first with air line but there was still a pretty loud thumping and quite often they would start in reverse and sometimes the time would run out before they actually started. Next I tried some 1/8" neoprene fuel line used in R/C planes, cars, etc.. This is the key to it all. You can get it from your local hobby shop just make sure it's NEOPRENE tubing and it has not been used.

1. Cut 2 pieces of tubing for each power head. One piece as close as you can to 1/16" and another piece about 3/16".
    2. Disassemble your Korilia completely and slide the 1/16" piece just onto one end of the shaft and insert that end in place on the motor side on the head and slide on the prop.
    3. Now take the 3/16" piece and slide it over the ouput cover side of the shaft so it is flush with the end of the shaft then carefully replace the output cover.

That's it!

I should note that I have ordered the Hydor wavemaker2 to replace it and this was just messing around with the 2 K3's and my RKL to see how this kind of thing would work in my tank. So far it looks like the corals love the back & forth motion this setup gives and also gives you the laminar flow need to keep things moving around.

Have fun & happy reefing!
    TJ

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

sounds good thanks for the info.

4. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

sounds good. Could you post pictures?

5. Takitaj

Takitaj Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thanks. I have to wait for my fiance' to get home later to find out where the camera went ::). I'll post pics as soon as I can.

TJ

6. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I think the camera is in the bedroom :-X

7. lfckenya

lfckenya Spaghetti Worm

yeah...that would be where i left it!
    :D sorry couldnt resist!