the cove

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Dingo, Sep 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I don't know if I would call factory farms, suitable environments.

I don't say that humans shouldn't or cannot eat meat. I don't say that humans have to go crazy with the idea of vegetarianism. I do say that I disagree with the way they are being killed, & that there are other alternatives.

2. Click Here!

3. Nick

Nick Bristle Worm

Raven,
    I disagree to an extent. Although your physiological comments are correct in regard to evolution we can sustain ourselves on a veg. diet. Most veggie people you see are not adequately educated on proper nutrition and aware of which variety of vegetable based proteins they need. And they only eat what they are familiar with. That's why they appear they way they do. But the real fact is there are plenty of healthy vegetarians. Even athletes. Even vegans can be healthy if done correctly.

Secondly, animals aren't mass produced for our survival. It's an industry and comes down to efficiency and profit margin like any other.

4. Nick

Nick Bristle Worm

Seano good comments. I went vegetarian for 9 months. Although not a pure vegetarian I ate fish. (Pesce-Vegetarian) Through the process I also quit and even to this day many years later don't consume milk. I will if it's in products I purchase, like a store bought cake for instance. I use soy on my cereal. I even use soy when I make baked goods at home. I hate that we have become ok and it's wildly accepted for GM animals to be consumed. Again more of a human right than animal. Although if you've seen the way the chickens are treated in the doc. food inc. then yes-we should demand proper treatment of the food we eat. Another interesting point-everyone that says humans are animals and are expected to eat meat...(I'm all about eating meat) but if that holds true we are the only animal that drinks milk after infancy. That is (in the animal kingdom) unnatural.

5. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

Just a little correction..

Cheetahs can and will kill another animal even if their bellies are full. If they are hunting and got a kill, they will kill anything dumb enough to get close to them, simply because they wont know when their next meal is going to be.
    Also... Humans ARE animals.
    Genus: Homo Species : sapiens

6. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I don't call factory farms suitable environments. But if you want to revolutionize economics (or land usage, or farming methods), go ahead. That's the only way to change the problems associated with free-range farming to feed the world. We aren't going to stop eating meat.

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Not quite. It's an industry that's putting the most animals into the smallest space, because people eat meat and that's the cheapest way to make the quantities of it needed for 6+ billion people.

8. Click Here!

9. Nick

Nick Bristle Worm

Raven my only point there is a rather large distinction between the driving factor being economic-not some altruistic sense of feeding the masses. You are right that it won't change. Capitalism will always force companies to increase GP. Can't fault them for that. But responsibility should come into play somewhere. Many companies have been successful at providing meat products with animal and environmental responsibilities. These factories also create a vast amount of waste and environmentally speaking, are not good keepers of the land they use.

10. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

Humans are not the only animal that drinks milk after infancy.
    Example: a cat will happily drink milk of you give it to him
    A dog will too
    Pork will too

Most Humans are lactose intolerant. In fact 70% of humans are lactose intolerant.
    As people began farming and domesticating animals they began drinking milk, hence they evolved, and became lactose tolerant over the years.

11. Nick

Nick Bristle Worm

Finally, I'm really glad we can all discuss this with respect to each other's personal views. It's a complex issue. When I choose not to eat meat (save fish) I was alarmed at how many people were so interested in my diet choice. It was unsettling. Nevermind the silly comments from coworkers. I just couldn't understand why so many people made a big deal about it. I think they simply just didn't understand the choice. Even know I don't know why other people give vegetarians and vegans flack about what they choice to eat. It's foolish really. But I think it's important to get the facts right. IE the old adage that it's unhealthy. Education is really important to me. For instance, most people don't realize that the US food pyramid is the result of heavy lobbying from the meat and dairy farmers...

12. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

i dont understand why this has go so far off track guys... i started this to help expose the inhumane practices in Japan surrounding dolphin killing.
    Not to have an argument over farming animals, hunting practices of animals, vegetarians, or whatever else off topic was brought up.

they gave values for the amount of dolphins killed each week. If i remember correctly it was something like 21,000