the Christmas Tree Rock isn't doing so great

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by bc219, Dec 8, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I'm confused about Christmas Tree rocks, before I bought this thing I did research it without many definite answers on how to care for them. Basically what I've come to the conclusion of is the following:

1. the worms in the rock don't need a lot of lighting but the coral they live in does.

2. feed occasionally with phytoplankton

I've had mine pretty high up in the tank since I've had it, about 4-5 months. It's not looking so great. Part of the coral part is getting bleached and although some of the tubes still have worms in them, some of them appear to not. Also some of the holes where tubes are have a tiny bit of hair algae on them. About a week ago I noticed the coral shedded in the same way a leather would shed.

Whats up with this thing? My man moved it to the bottom of the tank last night, I just took this pic.

Just got a call from the school, my son is sick so I have to get him so I can't get water parameters at the moment. I did test the water a few days ago though and the only thing out of whack was nitrates at 10ppm.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

From what you have posted, if it doesnt need light, why place it so high? Leave it at the bottom and wait a few days. I'm at work, so I cant look it up, but when I get home I will and post what I find. Luna

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I looked some of it up and found conflicting reports. One says that the worms host a porite coral, an sps, and feed off the mucus and that needs high light, and that you should place it in a high light area. Another site said that christmas tree rocks like shadier areas and should be placed accordingly. Do you know exactly what type of coral the worms are in?

5. abraKADAV3R!

abraKADAV3R! Feather Duster

the porite coral needs light but the worms dont...i heard the little worms are not so easy to keep cuz they eat very small phytoplankton...

Porites , Xmas tree worm rock

Natural origin: Indo-Pacific

Sensitivity (Level 3 to 4): These corals can be quite unforgiving and
    intolerant. They are not impossible to keep but demand well established aquariums and experienced care.

Feeding: A small polyped coral, they have poor prey capture ability and feed only on very small particle food. In a well fed tank with a variety of food, additional feeding might not be necessary.

Lighting (Level 7 to 10): Though adaptable to some degree, these corals usually need more intense lighting conditions. The ideal lighting for any particular coral will depend on the species and/or the depth and clarity of the water where it was collected or cultured. As with any zooxanthellate coral, coloration can change in response to changing lighting conditions. As always, sudden changes in lighting conditions can result in bleaching. Be sure to acclimate properly.

Water flow: Strong, turbulent water flow is important for effective feeding, good health and to prevent sediment damage.

Placement: Not a particularly aggressive coral in captivity, they can easily be overgrown by more aggressive tank mates.

General: In the wild, Porites corals grow to be quite massive, some being several thousand years old. To increase chances of survival, keep only in well established aquariums that are at least a year old. Steady tank parameters and calcium levels of at least 420 ppm will promote coral health and growth.

6. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

This is a tricky one luna and hard to explain in detail. The Christmas tree worm lives in a coral. So you need to meet the requirements of both the coral and the worm. From what I understand, they(the worms) are very difficult to keep alive. They have very special feeding requirements. This is off the top of my head. And then the coral. And the coral is basically a sps coral. If your tank isn't dialed in enough for sps then there is a partial issue. And the feeding requirements for the worm are a seperate issue alone.

7. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I concur with mission, I was tempted to buy one and "googled" it and read nothing but bad and difficulty keeping it alive and/or thriving. I didn't buy it but I still want one!

8. Click Here!

9. bc219

bc219 Millepora

Well "they" say the worms don't need the light but the coral they live in does, that's why I had it high.

I read all the same conflicting reports! Ugh!! Some of my worms aren't alive I don't think (it has been in high light) but the coral is now bleaching and that is odd to me because I figured if anything it would be ok since I had it in high light. And no it was just sold to me as "Christmas tree rock" - everywhere I see them sold seems to just call them that, not a specific species.

Well, there we go. Although my calcium levels are more than sufficient, the age of my tank, according to where you got that info from is not. The tank is almost, but not quite a year old.

Although my tank has a lot of thriving sps, I think part of the problem might be the fact I have been starving my tank lately due to a hair algae issue. I am amazed however that my carnation is still alive after two months after only feeding it phyto twice now. :) I hope the xmas tree rock lives but I'm not going to overfeed my tank to ensure its survival. Should I stick it in my fuge or something? Even though pods aren't tiny like phyto, do you think it will have a chance to get healthier there? Ugh.

10. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Considering that you are in the middle of fighting an algae problem, I'd refrain from any further purchases til' you get it under control. As of now it's either an un-healthy environment and/or on it's way to being an un-stable environment. And I don't mean that in a "mean" way. Unhealthy=algae issue unstable=fixing algae issue. Don't really have any advice on what to do with the xmas tree.

11. bc219

bc219 Millepora

Um yeah I am definitely not going to be putting anything else into the tank until the hair algae is eliminated and everything has been fine for quite some time. All I've done livestock wise in the last 3 months or so was remove the sixline a few nights ago.

12. tinnghe

tinnghe Purple Spiny Lobster

I have one for about 6 months now I had it way low before with no lighting I start to kill the coral. Then I move it to an area with high flow and light it had been doing real well. You will have to remember a thing can have
    More than one holes so some empty one is ok mine switch back and forward. I never feed mine

Posted via Mobile Device:
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20