The Best Wrasse

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Breed, Oct 20, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Which of these Wrasse do you guys think is the best and most gorgeous?

1. Rhomboid Golden Fairy Wrasse

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Pacific Redstripe Hogfish

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Male Lineatus Fairy Wrasse

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. Mystery Wrasse

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  5. Male Psychadelic or Tamarin Wrasse

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Breed

Breed Feather Duster

Hey Everyone!

I was thinking of getting a couple of wrasse for my reef tank and was looking at some flasher and fairy families and some other different species of Wrasse. A couple of notable fish came to my eye:

Pacific Redstripe Hogfish

[​IMG]

Male Lineatus Fairy Wrasse

[​IMG]

Mystery Wrasse

[​IMG]

Rhomboid Fairy Wrasse

[​IMG]

Hawaiian Male Psychedelic Wrasse (Tamarin Male)

[​IMG]

Yellowtail Tamarin Wrasse

[​IMG]

Which of these fish do you guys think would be a good specimen for a reef tank. I like a fish with personality and is not a troublemaker.

Are there any other beautiful and colourful species of Wrasse that you guys have seen?

Thanks Everyone!!

Breed

Last edited: Oct 21, 2006
  2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

You can never go wrong with a Fairy Wrasse. Reef safe and very active in the Tank

J

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Fairy and flashers are your best bet! The Tamarind Wrasses' are more delicate and many times you can't get them to eat as they are specialized feeders in the wild.

5. Salty Marine

Salty Marine Astrea Snail

I havent seen any LFS get a Male Lineatus Fairy Wrasse that I would buy yet. I've had a standing order with my preferred LFS for a Rhomboid Fairy Wrasse for almost a year now and they haven't been able to get one. I see good quality Mystery Wrasses come through rarely but I was able to get one I really like.

6. Breed

Breed Feather Duster

Ahh okay thanks guys! So Salty Marine, what is your Mystery Wrasse like? Is it active and playful?

7. Breed

Breed Feather Duster

I read up on the Tamarin Wrasse and yes they do have really small mouths due to their feeding habits.

Of the foods that I feed my fish, I use brine shrimp the most and find that everything loves it. If I find one of these fish that is around 4-5 inches I think that I could successfully feed it if I made sure that it got food.

8. Click Here!

9. Salty Marine

Salty Marine Astrea Snail

He has been in quarantine for 4 weeks while I make sure his future home doesnt have anymore mini spikes. I dont want to risk a $200 fish for no reason so I cant comment of how active he is in a social setting but he sure is active in the quarantine tank. He dive bombs the coral band shrimp for fun but never attacks it.

If your wondering why I got a shrimp in my quarantine tank, its because my QT goes long periods with no fish in it and it was the only way I could keep mini spikes from happening when I added a fish. My LFS never mentioned that LR in a QT was not a good idea without a permanent QT resident and I found out the hard way.

10. Breed

Breed Feather Duster

Ahh okay.. sounds like a nice fun fish. How big is it thou? cause I have a purple dottyback and anything that is the same size as him gets bullied, and my tank is calm and stable at the moment so the last thing i want is fish fighting.

Thanks for the reply!