the best light out

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by bullyhaze, Jul 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

T-5s are great lights. Currently, most manufacturing plants in China are supposedly changing capacities to LED and going away from T-5. So, they may get expensive in the future, but you can always switch then. Light is light though, a photon is a photon. Anyone who says otherwise... Anyways, if you got it use it, it will work...

2. Click Here!

3. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

I've had all of the lights including the oldschool vho lights. I currently have led and they are by far my favorite and I'm an oldschool guy. I came from halide and feel I am getting as good if not better sps growth. My halide had vho supplement and never was impressed with them.

1.LED
    2.halide
    3.VHO
    4.t-5

And my tank is 24" deep. Check out my growth shots in my build thread.

4. EthanKyle

EthanKyle Plankton

I've run VHOs, T5s and MHs. I had outstanding SPS growth using the phoenix 14000K bulbs but the heat and my electric bill was a huge factor because of the additional use of a chiller. I think I'll try the LED's this time around.

5. bullyhaze

bullyhaze Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

6. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

I am currently using MH/T-5's on my 55 gallon with great success. Only lost 1 hard coral in 14 months and the LPS and softies are taking off. I am going to make the switch to LED's as I have had good luck with them on my 29 gallon.

Back to the point I actually want to make. In China and other parts of Asia, you can buy led lights that will fit into an actual T-5 fixture without changing the ballast or end caps. You can also buy some that will turn on and off with a blue tooth and are dimmable. Usually you have 1 bulb that has all the control built into it and the other bulbs are linked to it. All the advantages of the T-5's without having to replace the bulbs every 12-18 months and you have that point source shimmer! Should be hitting the stated in 12-18 months or sooner.

Food for thought!

7. bullyhaze

bullyhaze Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Cool i found my light they have 8 tantic t5 three mh and 8 led moon lights would have to look up the output abd all that good stuff