the best light out

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by bullyhaze, Jul 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bullyhaze

bullyhaze Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Well i got the t5 on my 75 gallon i really like those my coral is doing great.which is more than likely wat im putting on the tank.Just seeing wat ppl opinions were.I want that simmer in the water

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Well you won't get that shimmer with T5. It occurs with LED and metal halide because they are 'point-source' lighting - meaning the light source comes from a single point, projecting over the lighted area. A higher surface agitation also helps increase the noticeable shimmering of the light as it's reflected through the water.

T5HO are fluorescent tubes. You just don't see the shimmer with them as the tube goes the whole lengthof the tank.

4. Seano Hermano

LED can be high intensity, comes in a variety of colors (DIY kits and some of the higher-end fixtures), is lower wattage (meaning a lower electricity bill), run cool, but can become expensive at time of initial purchase, depending on how much control/customization you want (including cloud-cover, storms, sunsrise/sunset effects, moon phases). This upfront cost is outweighed over the life of the fixture, most lasting between 5 - 10 years. Modularity allows you to upgrade the software/hardware within the housing as technology advances. You will have the shimmer effect with this.

T5HO is a good light source as well. The bulbs allow you to mix and macth color combos to try out what you like best over your tank. Costs vary greatly among fixtures depending on how many bulbs you want, how long/wattage the bulbs are, and other timer features available. These are generally safe to run without a cooling device. Fans will normally suffice in keeping the tank cool enough. You could also get a retro-fit T5 fixture which would just be reflectors and ballasts. This would be installed in a canopy. Bulbs range between $13-25 per bulb (the latter being the better quality brands). Some fixtures include bulbs, some don't, but these need to be replaced every 8-12 months. With 4-6 bulbs you could do a mock-sunrise/sunset effect by having different timers on each bulb (this would require separate ballasts for each too). The Addition of 1, 2 pr 3w LEDs will let you have moonlighting over your tank which can also be programmed via an aqua controller or timer.

Metal halides are point-source, high wattage, high penetration lighting. These come in 75, 150, 175, 250, 300 or 350 (can't remember which), 400, and even 1,000w (very deep tanks) halide bulbs. They also run in reflectors and use a ballast similar to that of T5HO. Halides run hot and you will need fans and possibly a chiller. You will have an increase in electric bill because of the high wattage. Bulbs are available in a range of colors between 8,000K - 24,000K. The higher the number the more blue it will look. MH bulbs should be replaced about every 6-8 months.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  5. bullyhaze

Good info thanx now wat about mixing like the t5 lights with a few led strips would thos do anything or just add more light

6. Seano Hermano

I think that would be a good mix. You could do 2 T5 bulbs and then supplemental DIY LED strips for the front and back of the tank. Use a mix of royal blue, cyan, warm white, red, green, UV LEDs for the best color mix. I would run these with several drivers (LED equivalent of a ballast, but not the same thing). We have quite a few how-to threads for DIY LED builds in both the I Made This and the LED lighting section of our forum to help you out.

7. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

all lights have their ups and downs, IME led's have the least amount of downs and the most amount of ups. if money is no object then that puts led's majorly ahead of most other lighting. halides get really hot as well as t5's. and bulbs need replacing often.

8. Click Here!

9. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

to help make recomendations, what are you plannign to keep, what type of corals? and also whats your budget? will help make a good guess for lighting that 135. LED's are not expensive anymore, some fixtures can be had for 2-400 bucks, that was close to my t5 and halide bulb replacement cost each year.

10. bullyhaze

Well for as far as wat coral i keep im just the kind of guy that if i like it i buy it lol. I would like to be able to keep anything i want to put in there no limit. My wife hates when i go to the fish store. I blow about 500 to 800 bucks every time i go in. The lights im will to spend about 500

11. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

well if you are looking to go in the led directoion, for your size tank 500 will be not enough. Even if you purchased 3 lights of the 3w bridxelux chips that are like 200 bucks each on ebay youd be at 600, and thats your cheapest option( for wanting to be able to gorw everything).

A DIY rapidLED setup would be closer to 600-800 but offer you more control. I.e. seperate drivers for each color, choosing which colors, what kind etc... for lighting you could spend 1000's on getting what you want but it all comes down to what you wanna be able to grow, how much can you spend and what size.

Just my 2 cents... hope it helps

12. bullyhaze

Cool i think ima stick with the t5 for now maybe try sum led on my 30g a c how i like them