The best idea EVER

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by SIM-slayer, Sep 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SIM-slayer

SIM-slayer Plankton

I just had the best idea ever! What about a 3-way tank? No... not that kind of 3-way... shame on you. A aquarium diveded into 3 sections 1) Freshwater 2) Brakish and then 3rd) Reef? With a eaqually complicated sump

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Raimond

Raimond Bristle Worm

Not sure what your goal is but keep us posted on your progress. Sounds really complicated as you suggested. I have enough problems with one type of tank!
    Pictures please...

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Agreed, not quite sure what your're trying to accomplish. It will be far easier to just setup 3 tanks next to each other. You will need 3 of everything anyways.

5. Fresh2Salt

Fresh2Salt Feather Duster

sounds like some work but I'm sure it could be done

6. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

I think you should put all the money, time, different species in each (plant and animal), chemicals for all those (Test kits), equipment, and what not and put it toward just one of those. I would also think fish from salt water seeing a freshwater fish on the other side of the glass might confuse em, stress em out, make em aggressive because it's not every day it sees that kind of fish and vice versa. No? maybe I'm over thinking that part but, it will save you a headache in the long run. Unless your heart's set on this idea. Just sayin. you could have a really sweet reef set up, or what ever you prefer. Either that or do what GuitarMan89 said and do 3 different tanks.

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I think, for the look I imagined while reading this post, it would be three tanks, one in front of the other.

8. Click Here!

9. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

This has disaster written all over it. I would just do a larger tank of just one. If you decide to do this 3 section tank please start a build thread. Would be cool to see how it comes together.

10. country1911

country1911 Coral Banded Shrimp

Think about it for a while before you rush into anything. Think about things like salt creep and its affects on freshwater species. This would be an awesome idea, but only if it is done right.

11. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

I did see a divided salt water tank the other day that I liked. Reef on one side, non-reef safe fish on the other.... single sump.

12. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

I don't really get the point either. Why not just have three separate tanks?

How would they know its a freshwater fish? You probably have fish in your reef tank from several different oceans that they never see in the wild.