The 30g teardown.

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by rickzter, Aug 29, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Ok guys, some of you may have read some posts I made about me tearing down my reef because of Plectroglyphidodon lacrymatus AKA "Jewel Damsel". I caught him nipping at my acan echinatas tentacles and picking on my fish CONSTANTLY. So, since I forgoed the fish trap, I had to tear down the reef. I wanted him out ASAP. My acan always had his tentacles out wanting to eat and this little booger scared the crap out of him. After all the chaos passed, I noticed that my acan is missing some. I just fed him yesterday, I think he'll be just fine. ;)

Here are some pics of the teardown.

Frontal.
    [​IMG]

Left & right side
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Luckily, there was a tub sitting around that was recently purchased. Still using it. :tongue4:
    [​IMG]

This is the little booger isolated in my propagation box.
    [​IMG]

This is my rainbow acan. He's not out in the pic.
    [​IMG]

I'm glad to say that all my little critters appear to be fine. In the process of the re-aquascape, I noticed that I have a shy face crab. It's color is similar to the mythrax, but looks exactly like mannyhernz shy face, but his appears to be rarer and albino. Nothing (thankfully) was hurt during the teardown and nothing is sick so far. ;D Good sign of healthy fish I guess.

This is how the 20g looked after cramming it with my coral for holding purposes.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I have since traded my galaxea, bubble, green striped and some zoo's to the LFS for store credit. I buy most of my stuff from there. They got too big.

This is a pic of my tank now.
    [​IMG]

I'm still working on the aquascape and am going to re-stock with better stuff.

Also, here is the 20g after tearing it down and re-aquascaping (had to tear down to remove my fish). It was also upgraded to the Oddysea unit. I'm only running a 20K HQI @ 150 watts. It's still not fully stocked and aquascape is not complete.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

Very nice.
    Tear downs suck but it seems like every time I do one I like the aqua-scape much better after I re-do it. I just did a tear down on my 75 and it took 3 hrs but is much cooler looking now. Plus the added knowledge you gain from experience helps in the re-placement of corals.

4. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Ack, doesn't work for me. It seems like I can't find a style I like. I'm thinking of shutting the 30g and going bigger in the future.

5. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

LOL
    even better :)

6. CodyW

CodyW Spaghetti Worm

Seeing that hex makes me want to redo mine. That is really nice aquascaping...zen like. Do you let your rock rest against the glass?

Karma for the inspiration!

7. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I let it rest, yes. If it helps with the rigity of the structure. :D That rose bubble will hopefully be a host to true percs later on. :p

8. Click Here!

9. CodyW

CodyW Spaghetti Worm

HA! My girlfriend is going to flip when she finds out I'm redoing the tank...again

Maybe one day i'll be satasfied.

10. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

Satisfied is impossible in this hobby.

11. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

AMEN!

12. apollo'sowner

apollo'sowner Feather Duster

Oh crap! Why did I have to see this post. Now I want to do mine.
    Love your new aquascaping. Awesome!
    I am wondering about LS. Will it mess up the layers of bacteria if it is a DSB and disturbed?