The $15 Poor Mans Nano Chiller By C-BuZz

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by C-BuZz, Dec 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Plankton

Update already :cheesy:

4M of 6mm tubing.
    [​IMG]

Drilled a couple of holes for inlet/outlet
    [​IMG]

Looking good so far
    [​IMG]

At home at the back of my nano
    [​IMG]

I'm using a 200L adjustable speed small 2w mini pump & seems to be producing perfect flow. Just put it in the tank for testing purposes
    [​IMG]

Ambient is around 26c at the moment & tank temps are 24.8c, however it's fast heating up here in Melbourne & due for a top of 35c today so these results are not going to be very accurate. No livestock in my tank at the moment as it's still in testing phase
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

C-BuZz

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Neat build. Looks like you have some sweet DIY fans on your lighting as well. K+ for planning ahead and testing accordingly before wasting money on live stock.

4. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

oooooo ok lol my bad

5. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Wonder if you'll get enough heat exchange with the plastic tubing?

6. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Plankton

Ok i've got a little data in on the chiller. Unit has been running for approximately 2hrs & this is what I've got so far.

My ambient temps have increased to 35c :( & it's really starting to get hot in here so it's a good test for the chiller.
    Ambients:
    [​IMG]

Start temps: 24.8c (water) with 26c ambients increasing fast
    After a 2hr run temps: 23.9c (tank water) with 35c ambients

I put the thermometer in to verify that my digital was reading correctly & they were exactly the same.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The water temps are still dropping but very slowly. I'll leave it on for the rest of the day & see what happens.

C-BuZz

7. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

the Liters and Celsius readings are killing me d:

8. Click Here!

9. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

The moral here is temp in the room went up and the tank of his water went down. Sounds like your design is working pretty well.

10. slowleak

slowleak Feather Duster

With 6 M of tubing I'm sure it will get plenty enough heat exchange, thats a long way for the water to travel, and exchange heat.

C-buzz, I take it it gets very warm where you are? I'm having problems keeping my tank warm, and it's not even that cold here:angry:

11. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I'm not sure I agree with this. If the water is running through tubing that happens to be a good insulator, that's going to effectively prevent heat exchange. It can be 24" or 24 feet, and IMO it wouldn't make a difference.

Like the experimenting with the peltier, though. I had never heard of one before until you posted some time back about the one on your nano. Very interesting reading. :)

12. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Plankton

The heat exchange is actuall pretty good, the water is noticeably cooler after running through the tub.

C-BuZz