The 1 Minute Neo-Therm Heater Install

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Oct 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

The new Cobalt Aauatics Neo-Therm heater is as strong as it is flat. For my demo, co-founder Les Wilson took the resin-filled Neo-Therm out of an aquarium - while on - held it in his hand and then threw it on the floor and stood on it. Then he picked it up, cycled through settings with LED responding and then put it back in the aquarium. Sold. Specs and more details following my 1 minute install below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This Cobalt heater is crazy flat in the neighborhood of 1/4".

[​IMG]
    The Neo-Therm will fit it very tight spaces in your sump.

[​IMG]
    The advanced electronic thermostat is accurate to ±0.5ºF and includes a LED that displays both the Set Temp and TankTemp simultaneously and has a Set temperature range up to 96ºF.

Aquarium Temperature Rise
    MODEL------------7-14º F--------------------Less than 7 º F
    25 W-----------2-4 gal (10 - 15 l)-----------2-7 gal (10 - 25 l)
    50 W-----------4-10 gal (15 -35 l)----------4-13 gal (15 - 50 l)
    75 W-----------9-16 gal (35 - 60 l)---------9-20 gal (35 - 75 l)
    100 W---------16-24 gal (60 - 90 l)--------16-26 gal (60 - 100 l)

A single button is used to set the temperature on the Neo-Therm. Simply cycle to desired temp and release. The set temp stays lighted while the the tank temp, if higher or lower, will flash. If just set temp is lighted, that means tank temp is the same.

I really like this display and it faces out on my sump so I know the temp at a glance.

Granted the model I got is only 75w - the only one they had at the time - but so far it is holding the temp in my 30 gallon without a problem.

Having just a 18"x18" sump, the Neo-Therm is a big deal to me. My previous heater was glass and long. It took up a lot of valuable space on the bottom and I worried about accidentally dropping a live rock from my refugium on it from time to time.

Les' demo was impressive and reminded me of the Bang & Olufsen rep that took the tone arm of the record player I was looking at and ran it across the record several times. The record was fine. I still don't understand that. But I still own that record player and I imagine I will own this Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm heater for some time.

Available now:
    Neo-Therm Heaters: Cobalt Aquatics

150w and 200w available soon.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

Whats your total volume in your tank? Something around 55ish?

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Total volume is a little less than 30 gallons.

5. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

These heaters look really cool. I love how slim it is. My DT could use one instead of the long glass one i'm using now. I'm thinking that to be on the safe side I might want the 100w model instead. Is the temperature pretty constant in your house up there?

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah my house temp stays fairly constant. I'll keep an eye on it this winter. I'd go bigger if I still lived in Chicago!

Hard not to love this heater. Time will tell. At least it is European-made. ;)

matt

1 person likes this.
  7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Cool Matt thanks for sharing.Now when are they going to be making a bigger one??;);D

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Italy is the Euro China in terms of mass production... not always indicative of quality in other words.

In this case it is though, and I have been impressed with the Neo-Therm since I picked a few up t MACNA. Hoping it stays this way, I needed a new go to heater :D

10. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Yup, these sure are neat.

I suspect they'll start selling of good amount of these once the larger sizes are in circulation and they fare as well as these smaller ones.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

A rare moment when I correct the G man - it is made in Poland. Says right on the box. :)

matt

12. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Maybe the box is made in Poland? ;D

I bought a replacement gas cap for my car, and on the box it said 'Proudly Made In America'...but, on the gas cap itself, it stated Made in China. The box on the back, in fine print said, 'Printed in America'. Sneaky sneaky!

I am thinking about grabbing one of these for the small cube tank I am going to do. Very cool!