that tanked show the ugly truth!

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by bigwhiteboybob, Jul 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigwhiteboybob

bigwhiteboybob Astrea Snail

what do you really think is going on with that show. anyone else seen it <-- stupid question i know. but really i watch them they grab a hose fill it with what ever water the place has treat it put sand in it. then put all kinds of possible toxic crap in there then put in 25,000$ worth the fish and show it for 5 minutes. what do you think happens when they leave? i think they have to loose 75 of there livestock within the next week...

2. Click Here!

3. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

i think the fish are already acclimated to the water that goes into the aquarium. They use some type of premixed salt water I believe, and pump it into the aquarium once they get on site. Also, I think alot happens behind the scenes that the viewers dont see. What I wonder, is who maintains the aquarium once the show is over. Still, I bet they do loose alot of fish. Even if they do "instant cycle" the aquarium. There is no substitute for a truly mature and stable aquarium. One thing I dont like about the show, is that all of the tanks are so fake. They are only for show. I prefer more natural looking reef aquariums.

4. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Depending on the place where the aquarium is at, they hire a local tank cleaning company to service the aquarium.
    the two or three that are local to me, that I have seen, all have lost atleast half of their fish and are getting replenished because of the losses. What's even worse is after about a year some of the tanks are broken down. The phone booth tank was even sold on eBay as well as another tank of theres.

5. Boywithafishtan

Boywithafishtan Coral Banded Shrimp

The fish has been drip acclimated to the system. If you see all of the episodes, they will also show them acclimating them in buckets. Also, the water they use is natural ocean water, which contains many useful bacteria. They also use live sand, which contains many bacteria aswell. They also sometimes use natural live rock, which also contains bacteria. This whole setup, will make sure that the fish will be living in the tank from the start, without it being cycled. Oh, and did i mention? They also use bacterial products, and pour almost a full 100ml bottle of bacteria into the tank. They will NEVER put poisonous things in the tank, since they always discuss about things being poisonous, and that they have to find a way to make it non-poisonous, by sorrounding it with some sort of material. Nothing is wrong with how they make the tanks, at all. However, the show has TO much acting in it. They always make these stupid scenes with HORRIBLE acting. Guess thats how many american shows are, (I'm european, we dont really got those kind of shows over here xD). I dont like the fact that the tanks are so fake either, but again its Vegas, so they just want something to look good and colorful. Not all of the tanks are fake though. They've made about 3 tanks that are with all natural corals, live rock and sand. A thing that they might be doing to much is touching the fish. They often touch the puffers and make them puff up, which i think is wrong. Its Wayde who does it, but he keeps puffers himself, so maybe he knows what hes doing. However, its an entertaining show to watch if your an aquarist. They might do alot of fake tanks, but you gotta give them: The acrylic tanks that they make by themselves is pretty cool, and 99% of all the fake corals and plants and decorations, they also make those themselves. So... I think its kinda cool anyways :)

6. Boywithafishtan

Boywithafishtan Coral Banded Shrimp

And yes, they do have cleaning company to clean the tanks aswell, so the tanks will be nice and clean all the time. And guys, if it was animal abuse/cruelty, it wouldn't be sent on Animal Planet, just sayin' :p

7. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Welcome to the search button.

There have been I dunno about 50 locked threads of people carrying on for the show. Truth of it all is its about made for tv entertainment. It isnt made about function tanks, correct fish, proper skimmer size or any of that. Youtube tanks and youll hear them talk about the show, talk about the tanks, the tanks arent built in one hour, it isnt filled with a hose and fish dropped in.

8. Click Here!

9. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

TV sucks.
    Scripted reality TV will always suck even more.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Sigh.....dude. They do offer communication courses in Europe I assume, and I bet they practice diplomacy as well, it's just not an American thing, google it. ::)

Lastly water carries no significant beneficial bacteria. Using NSW makes no difference with regard to cycling a tank.

2 people like this.
  11. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Ftw, to quote the vernacular!

12. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

^^+1 no benefit in the water they are using. A mini cycle will happen either way

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.