That sounds like rain... (long post)

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by generic_411, May 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

wow, thats impressive stacking. I have exactly 60 pounds of leftover live rock packed pretty tight taking up a little less than half of a 36 gallon trash can . . . i cant wait to see these pics.

~Will.

2. Click Here!

3. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

Good story, glad you saved everything. How is the snake taking it?

Yeah.. gotta see pics of the rock setup as well.. 10lbs pe rgal?

4. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Now I'm afraid to go home. :(

5. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

hehe i have about 60 lbs in my 29...i really want to know how you even had 100lbs in your 29...let alone your 10!!! sorry about your troubles though!!

6. phoenix cat

phoenix cat Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

you dont have 100 lbs in that small of tank.. 100lbs of lr istoo much for a 29. and you sad fiji which is more porus i have 60 pounds of fiji island lr and a 40g and its pretty full.
    glad your story ended well

7. doog

doog Peppermint Shrimp

Need some pics with a scale, or I'm going to chalk the 100lb claim up as a fish tale. If it really was 100 lbs, that might explain the blown 29, and forewarn you about the 10.

Sorry for your troubles, appreciate you sharing, and I hope your new tank does well

8. Click Here!

9. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

a standard 10g tank is what, 20x10x12, .... the 50# of LR in my 58 compacted into a shipping container 30x20x16 inside ...

so now we have 100# in a 10G tank?

1 of 2 things is possible: You have a 20G tank, which 100# would barely fit into, with no room for livestock or sizable corals, or your source for live rock doesn't know how to weigh stuff (or they do, and just over charged you).

I agree: pics or it never happened. Not just pics, pics with a 12" ruler or something else of standard dimensions we can compare to. I'm all for a good BS story, but when it's called bow out graciously or prove it.

10. mscottring

mscottring Fire Shrimp

I'm picturing someone jumping up and down on this rock stacked on opening of the tank.

11. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

I'm going with a broken scale on this one. No way you actually have 100lbs of rock.

Glad the rest worked out for you, though.

12. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

first thing: Don't take this personally, I can be a horribly crass know-it-all, I'm just saying...

now one thing to consider is that good LR is very porous, so maybe it's 100# soaking wet? That might mean 30# or so dry.... depending on how heavy water is where you live.

Around here salt water weighs ~8.5 lbs per gallon... so your tank can hold 85# of water.

lime stone weighs the equivalent of approx. 21 lbs per gallon of displacement.

LR is mostly calcium compounds, similar to lime stone so we'll call it limestone.

so if properly compacted you could in theory put about 210# of coral rubble in a tank. Of course even the most dense LR is not 100% solid, so let's say it's 60% solid,.... a 20x10x12 block could weigh at most around 125#. So yeah, you could have 100# of LR in a 10g tank if it were carved out of a solid block.