That saltwater rinse for sinus pain

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by djnzlab1, Jan 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

HI,
    Remember how clear your head feels after swimming in the ocean, you can find relief for that dry throat, sinus headache and general allergie like symptoms. with a smiple saline risne of your sinuses.
    I bought a sinus rinse kit at walgreens and after only one use can breathe better and feel better with out any additional meds.
    They claim it helps with allergies by rinsing the pollen and irritants out of your natural filter system in the nose.
    I went one step farther and make my own rinse solution by putting one tsp of (synthetic sea salt I use for my saltwater tanks) in my bottle fill it with warm tap water mix and follow the instructions , and wow what a improvement over meds.
    Try it if your plauged by dry sinus and frequet sinus headaches and dry sore throat.
    it works for me, and the extra sea salt minerals may be a plus too being most land food is devoid of trace elements due fertilizers use and the lack of organic material being put back its all washed into the sea....

Doug

I no longer need allergie med or steriod nasal sprays.. GO figure
    The main ingredients in the salt solution they sell is NACL and calcium carbonate, duh? Sea water anyone..

Sinus Rinse Kit | NeilMed | Walgreens

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

LOL My grandfather and his Brother both had and passed on his bad sinuses to me. When I was a little kid Pop would mix saltwater and cup it in the palm of his hand and just snort it. I have done the same thing myself for yrs better then the saline sprays I think.. And when I used to pull old Coal and oil boilers and heating plants for replacing I used to do that also to get the soot out :) Never needed a kit just salt and water..

After a head on wreck in 2001 I had my airbag to knock my front teeth out and broke and smashed my nose and blew out both of my sinus cavities where totally ruptured as they called it :) My legs had all my attention at that point though.. But yes the salt is great stuff

4. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

^ouch.......ruptured sinuses isnt something i can picture in my head.

5. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I've been using saline solution for years. One of my cats sleeps right next to my head and she makes my nose clog. It's not so much clog, but my sinuses swell and the saline makes that go away, also with the heat on I would wake up with nose bleeds, but not anymore.......Just watch if you have high blood pressure on how much you use.:)

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

It does work, but it's not new. :) Nasal irrigation is an ancient Ayurvedic technique known as Jala neti. Google "Neti pots" or "Jala neti" and you will see that it is a technique that has been used for a long time. It's really interesting. Snot discussions often are :)

And like everything else these days there is even an instructional video :)

Neti Pot Instructions

John

7. cuttingras

poo too :lol:

8. Click Here!

9. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Maybe so, but I am not sticking one of those neti pots up my bum to find out :)

John

10. cuttingras

:lol: for real! it's kinda gross...... but I bet it would feel good if you have a cold and your head is stuffed...not the bum part :lol:

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

I have tried it once using a small plastic watering can ( true story ) with the sprinkler bit removed. Used about a teaspoon of salt to a litre of body temp water. The hardest part was to trust yourself that the water would flow in one nostril and out the other :) I believe that neti "experts" can manange to pour the water into one nostril and have it come out of their mouths. However why you would want to do that I beyond me :)

John

12. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

true sea salt is best

Hey,
    I bought the kit and then ran out of their salt and thought , he I have plenty of the synthetic sea salt,
    And so I put 1 tsb in the the rinse bottle stick my head down in the sink squezze the warm water in the left side it rushes up to my sinus and out the right nair and drags all the nasty stuff, mucous and pollen out, the last little squirt with alot of that air in it really blast it out.
    It really clear my head wooooooo,,
    I don't need any nose steriods, that nasonex crap,
    and i don't take that allegra either and my head is clear as a bell,
    your nose may drip alittle for about 10 mins it normal may be that residual salt pulling the moisture out.
    It really help prevent infections, dry nose can cause cracks in there that may make you more suseptable to viruses.
    Hey its like you went for a swim in da sea.
    doug
    ;D