Thank you DOWTISH - Cyano Help

Discussion in 'Algae' started by chumslickjon, Dec 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

I've battled cyano for a while now (nearly a year) in one of my tanks that had live rock which I was given by a friend.
    After posting and reading many threads, I got much advise ranging from water changes to changing bulbs to increasing flow. Nothing helped at all and it ended up costing quite a bit of money and frustration. It seemed like everyone wanted to blame it on poor husbandry, which couldn't be further from the truth.
    It wasn't until I read this thread http://www.3reef.com/forums/algae/how-get-rid-cyano-63748.html
    and Dowtish's advise to use special blend bacterial suppliment that it all seemed to make sense and I can say that my tank is now almost 100% cyano free and my chaeto is now starting to grow again after only a month.
    I'll chock this up to my tank not having proper bacteria to outcompete the cyano, which special blend was able to provide. I'll continue to use this stuff in this particular tank, but might also pickup some fresh live sand and live rock from other tanks that can provide the proper reef\saltwater bacteria found in wild colonies.

Thanks again.

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Dude! that is awesome! I am really glad it worked for you.

1 person likes this.
  4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Dowtish always seems to give good advice. It's cool when you get to see the results of your knowledge on others. :)

Congrats on your almost-cyano-free tank. lol.

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Well,

I read most of that thread, got more flow in my DT, and despite still having some cyano in the DT, my chaeto grows great in my sump.

It seems cyano also looks like diatoms sometimes, ever notice that?

What is this bacterial blend you talk about?

6. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

It is called special blend.This stuff is great but smells like a dead rotting hooker in bottle.It is made by microbe lift.

7. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

How do you know what that smells like? ::)

8. Click Here!

9. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

10. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

+1 lol. I'm curious about that as well lol.

11. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Cool, I'm confused though, I thought you said chemiclean worked? I'd be interested to hear about your experience with this, as a lot of people claim it works and then have it come back, but don't update their threads... So, others read it and think it must work great :p

http://www.3reef.com/forums/asap/cyano-122112-2.html

As to the bacteria, I completely believe that certain bacteria can outcompete cyano. I am not familiar with that one, but will have to look into it. Please keep us updated! ;D

12. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I too am battling it right now and have placed an order for Dr. Tims Refresh and Waste Away. Of course the day I did this I went and cleaned as much as I could and it doesn't seem to be returning. There is still some present but not as bad as it was. Please post your results and I will do the same.;)
    UNITY!!!!!