Tetra-Tec RefugiumDIY

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Covey, Oct 28, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I am in the process of converting my Tetra-tec PF 500 into a mud refugium. I had this left over from my freshwater tanks it move to much water for my discus and plants. Water movement never seem to be a bad thing in a reef tankk though. The conversion couldn't be easier all I had to do is add a baffle to the intake and remove all the media. I trimed the bioform to create a ring around the main output it makes it easier to adjust the wavemaker action of the filter. I also add a bead of silcon along the top of the rim of the filter because at time it seemed to kick up the water a little to much. All I have left to do is rig up my light to it and add the mud and algea. I will post pics soon. I like this setup because I got a wavemaker and a mud refugium and it will all come in at less than a $100 ;D

2. Click Here!

3. markgsiy

markgsiy Astrea Snail

I currently have a Tetratec 300. Do you think I can use that to convert it into a refugium ?

How did you cut the foam ? Can you take a picture of it?

I know it is smaller one, but currently, I only use it for the wavemaker and when I have to put in the occational phosphate/silicate sponge.

I also only use 2 filters instead of 4 that get changed every 2-3 weeks - the filters are quite expensive to replace all the time!

Thanks

4. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Disclaimer: I am a total salt amateur and I am in the process of setting up my first reef. So take my advice with a grain of salt.
    That being said I have read quite a bit about them. I mean look around the DIY. Mud filters are about as tough as adding a couple baffles to a 10g tank. So if you want to let me be the guinea pig that is fine but you are welcome to try too. Here is the modified lid

Attached Files:

5. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Here is the baffle "A" in the pic. It redirects the intake up and over it. You will have to play with the baffle hieght so it does not stir the mud. The baffle is simply wedged in place so I can remove it and modify it as needed. "B" in the pic is a bead of silcon I add to make sure water wouldn't flow up and out of the filter. The water is still like 1 inch away from the silcon but I wanted to have a backup plan.

Attached Files:

6. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

The mud and algea will be add next week end. So I will have some new pics after that.

7. markgsiy

markgsiy Astrea Snail

Thanks a lot !! Great ideas... Please post more when you have them.

FYI, I have a 35 gal reef tank for about 2+ years and I am still a salt water reef newbie. I am always learning new things everyday so you a not alone. Your ideas here will definitely help me and lots of other ppl as well.

Thanks a lot !!

Mark

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Heh.. I've noticed people like to mess with these wonky filters. I've added a chiller to mine, I saw some pics of someone who turned theirs into a ATS and now this! 8) 8) How is it going Covey?

10. MaryPa

MaryPa Plankton

So how did the Tetra-Tec RefugiumDIY work for you?I have the same filter and mnight give it a try.....That is if your`s worked well :D

11. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

It works great. Once I got GOOD mud and some macro algae it is working good. Two days after I set it up the cyno disappeared from the tank and now 2 weeks later the brown hair aglea that was growing in the tank started to get all limp and sickly looking. Poor Algae![smiley=devil1.gif] (insert manically laughter).

Anyway I have not posted anymore pics because I need to figure out how to properly mount the light. The filters lid is a gray translucent plastic so I have to figure out how to black it out. I think I am going to use that new plastics spray paint on the outside of it. Once I do I will post a pic of the finished product. I running 24/7 now but I wasn't going to post a pics of the tinfoil tent currently doing the job. ;D

12. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

And this is all with a 1/3 of the herbavors I will need!