testing your change water

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by karlas, Jun 14, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

has anybody ever tested there change water before anything has been added? i did this with IO just because i was curious and with that i got a ph of 8.2, alk of 12 dkh, and a calcium of around 275, phosphates 0, nitrates 0

well since i got this huge bucket of red sea salt i decided to check that and see what i got it is considerably cheaper than IO i got a little different results  ph 8.4, alk the same 12 dkh, phosphates 0, and calcium of 250, nitrates 0

so to me except the calcium not much difference there

ive used reef crystals but never checked that im kind of curious if anybody has done this. checked reef crystals or any other types of salt and if you have what are the pre additive paramaters? lets do a test and find out what really is one of the best salts.

[glow=red, 2, 300]ohh boy i must be bored[/glow]

2. Click Here!

3. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Red, 2, 80%]Oh boy, karla!! I think that is a GREAT idea!!!

Now, you can get a somewhat biased view from these people:

http://www.aquacraft.net/

And they even lay it out for you in a numerical scale:

http://www.aquacraft.net/s9910.html

But, again this is a somewhat biased view by people who want to sell you their salt. It is a starting place, however, and we could compare our original findings to the numbers in this test.

I think it is a very good idea, karla. I will participate. Anyone else??[/glow]

4. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i dont have test for all the small trace elements but if you take notice even in the calcium and a few other staples that you add contain them so im sure theres enough of the other stuff in there but the things i mentioned i think are the major ones you need. hehe i hope some other people get in on this one this has my curiosity

5. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Maroon, 2, 80%]Yeah. I think I'm going to get to work on this tomorrow. Surely we can get enough comparisons laid out to begin to see some 'trend' information. I think it is worth a shot; definitely worth a look. There may be a paper in it for us, karla!!! [smiley=scholar.gif][/glow]

6. Apophis924

Apophis924 Astrea Snail

I have tested my IO before and My ca runs around 380 and mG about 900 mg/l. Ph is 8.1. Nitrates are zero. Have not tested Alk and this solution is mixed about 1.023 SG. Has anyone ever had their IO tested very high for ammonia right after mixing it? I have had sevreal high ammonia readings when testing IO right after mixing, then if i wait about 2 hours test again the readings are zero. I have been told in other forums it is a reaction between the reagents in the ammonia test kits and the ingredients in IO that cuz the false postive. wait an hour or more and the solution stabilizes and you will not get a false positive. It makes sense since i know that much ammonia will not come out of solution in two hours even with heavy areation.

7. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

thats one thing i didnt check was ammonia in the new bucket. hmmm maby ill have to

wrasseman

cool a paper [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

8. Click Here!

9. Apophis924

Apophis924 Astrea Snail

Let me know what you come out with  Karlas with. I testted it right after mixing it. the thest kit i used for ammonia was Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. Be warned it is quite distressing to see the readings that high on something you planon adding to your tank. which is why you need to test it a few hours later  for peace of mind. HTH

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

All salt mixes will create ammonia when 1st mixed.  Thats why every one under the son says to wait at least 24 hours before adding it to your tank.

If your really interested in testing salts, give Inland Aquatics a donation to their project.  Reefs.org has a sticky about it on the GRD board (general reef discussion).  Its like 20 pages long, so happy reading.

***PARAGRAPH REMOVED***

11. Apophis924

Apophis924 Astrea Snail

Hey Gresham kick me some 411 on Aquacraft. I use IO becasuse of the price. I dont normally trust testing done by those with a stake in the results ie- company A testing their salt against company B. I checked out the SF-15 report and i have yet to get a high Ph on my batches of IO that they claim to get and i use RO/DI water to mix it with.  I woulldn't mind paying extra for a good quality salt mix, As far as the inland aquatics project goes, I'll pass Once again the moment a sponser or any company with a $$ interest gets involved I question the validity of the results. Do you think any supplier is going to stand behind test results that puts any salt they sell retail in a bad light and lose that revenue and advertsing $$?  I feel the only true unbiased teating results will be those done by reefers at home suing the same test kits. Granted the percsion and quality control may be questioned but i will give a little on that infavor of true  reporting of test results by people that are not trying to sell brand A over brand B.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Hello Gresham:

Since I am CEO of Aqua Craft, tell me what sucks about our salts.

MDP :)