Testing Kits (FOWLR TANK)

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Tangotan, Apr 13, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangotan

Tangotan Astrea Snail

Hey guys, I was just looking around online and wanted to buy a new testing kit for the tank;
    like I said I don't have any corals so I know theres many things I wont be needing to check haha
    just thought I could use some help
    my budget would probably be like $50
    Thanks, Yoel

2. Click Here!

3. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Are you looking for what you would need to test for or what brands/instruments to use?

4. Tangotan

Tangotan Astrea Snail

Thanks for the reply and Knowing both would be pretty helpful

5. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Red Sea and Salifert are the 2 best brands of test kits and are commonly used due to their accuracy. Hanna checkers are pretty popular and seem to be very consistent but they are on the pricey side.

If you don't have one already, I really suggest a refractometer and calibration fluid for it. It will keep your SG as stable.

You will want to monitor Nitrate and maybe phosphate to help algae growth under control.

If you have API ammonia and nitrite, I wouldn't bother with getting a better kit since you are really just looking for 0 on those. I can't justify spending more money on those kits.

I also suggest an Alk kit but may not be necessary. If you keep you Alk stable it will help stability of pH. And if you want coralline algae to take off you will want to make sure the alk and Cal levels are good. FOWLR i wouldn't bother with Calcium either though.

A lot of people don't bother with pH but that may be a kit you would want if you like to monitor pH. IME, API pH kits are pretty accurate.

Hope this helps.

6. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Go with salifert for sure.