Test Kits

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Xiztence, Feb 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I like the API kits like you have. They make a nice and easy to use calcium test also.

4. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

I know they are easy to use & nice'n cheap lol

5. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

I like API also. Does anyone test for Stront or Iodine?? I don't and haven't heard of others testing for it.

Always learning.

I use Salifert for Mg.

M

6. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I moved your thread here~
    Water Chemistry - 3reef Forums
    I like salifert test kits.

7. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

For a long time I insisted that I was going to, but after hearing about how innacurate the tests usually are, I decided not to. I keep SPS and don't do water changes and it all seems pretty happy, so I wonder how much it really matters anyway. I dose a tiny amount of trace elements and iodine to be sure I don't overdose.

8. Click Here!

9. reddog

reddog Bristle Worm

Salifert all the way.I have used alot of different ones and Salifert are by far the easiest,quickest,and most accurate for me.They made it easy to nail down a baseline and maint dose amounts.Little pricey but heh you get what you pay for

10. Tropical_Supply

Tropical_Supply 3reef Sponsor

I agree with the posts above. I used API for a while since the tests were so cheap and they came in a nice kit (usually 4 tests in 1 box). After a while, I started to notice that my corals weren't doing so good even though the API test kits said everything was perfect.

I decided to buy a Salifert Calcium, Magnesium, Nitrate, and Phosphate test and sure enough, my phosphates were too high even though API said they were at 0. I learned my lesson... when working with hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of coral, it really isn't worth it to sacrifice quality in order to save the extra $50!

11. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

North Yorkshire, England, Europe, Earth, Milkyway,
    I use Salifert, I have used most others but Salifert seem to give a more accurate result.

12. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

API for calcium and dkh. Salifert for mag. I bought an expensive Elos dkh kit to confirm the API was accurate and it is. Easier to use than elos but the elos does do half increments dkh. If you want to see what your PO4 is you need a low range kit or photo meter. Most of the above mentioned kits only tell you if there is a real PO4 problem since they are high range kits. That's why so many people say their PO4 is 0 but it really isn't.

1 person likes this.