Tenuis Fragging

Discussion in 'Frags' started by YellowBelly, Aug 7, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. YellowBelly

YellowBelly Teardrop Maxima Clam

I fragged my Blue/Green tenuis that developed RTN. I made several frags and glued them in various spots in the tank to find out which spot suited the coral the best. Within a few hours the frags were expelling their Zooxanthellae and some turned completely white. Now the ones that turned completely white have brown algae growing on them. How can I prevent this in the future?

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Did you dip the frags ? and where the snips or what ever you used cleaned first ? I always sterilize my cutters be they scissors or bone cutters in alcohol or pure iodine as a rule . Then I dip the frags in REVIVE before and after fragging ..Iodine will also do O.K for the dip

4. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

do you use pure iodine or do you mix it with water? if you mix, how many parts?

5. YellowBelly

I used Kent Marine's Lugol's Iodine. About 35-40 drops for 1/2 gallon and let the acro sit for 10 minutes.

6. YellowBelly

Can poor water flow cause RTN?

I have a Cali Tortuosa, Green Granulosa, Chips Acropora, Purple Tri-Color, Blue Kimbeensis, some kind of Green acropora, green plating montipora and a Birdsnest that all look fine. The Tenuis that died was from LiveAquaria. I've had it for almost 11 months. Along with that order were 7 other aquacultured acros and two others have died (Rose Millepora and a Cerise acropora).

My tank temp. gets up to 80.7 during the day.

I think I have good flow . . . where the acro polyps sway side to side right? Not blowing all over the place.

7. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

how low does your tank get? i had an rtn problem with the old heater i used to use if i set the thermostat to 80 it would very in temp from 84 to 74. after i had my temp stabilized everything has been fine.

8. Click Here!

9. YellowBelly

It goes down to 78. What kind of heater do you use?