Unresolved tentacle

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by kss2801, Nov 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

i was looking at my one piece of LR with a flashlight. i saw this whitish/creamish tentacle coming out of a very small hole in the rock. it was about 4cm. it went back in as soon as the light hit it. it partly came back out for a little while, seemed like it was just feeling the rock, then went back in. any ideas what this could be?

2. Click Here!

3. catz

catz Fire Shrimp

can you get a pic of it

4. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Is it just a single tentacle and solid in color? If so, you may be seeing the leg of a brittle star hiding in the rock. A pic would be useful though.

5. kss2801

no i can't. it's back in the rock. it goes back in as soon as the light hits it. the hole it is coming out from is also very small. less than 1cm across.
    if anyone has any guesses i can google them and check if they match.

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I'm gonna guess spaghetti worm. I had that same thing in my rock - one long white tentacle thingy that would come out and feel around the rock. The best answer I was given and could find online was spaghetti worm.

7. kss2801

it is one leg. a solid cream color. i'm going to google b.star.
    are they bad?

8. Click Here!

9. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Is it coming from some place deeper in the rock and just working it's way out? I'm thinking it's maybe a brittle star leg or it could even be a bristle worm, mine always shy away from the light. Is it smooth looking or does it look like it has "bristles" or "hairs"?

10. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

No, they aren't bad as long as they have food. Some people have said that when they get larger, some of the non reef safe ones will grab a fish. For the most part, they are just scavengers and help keep things clean.

11. catz

catz Fire Shrimp

check the brittle star or could it be a feather duster tube? I had one coming out but I lost it when I changed tanks.

12. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

My spaghetti worm was only one tentacle at a time as well, and people told me sometimes they only send out one feeder at a time. Mine was also cream colored.

Are there cream colored brittle stars?