Temperature shock help

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by catchprj, Feb 21, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. catchprj

catchprj Astrea Snail

We had a freakishly hot day (for where I live) on Tuesday. I came home to a house like a sauna and my tank at 35C (95F) :-[. I immediately did a water change with colder water, which got the tank down to 29C (85F), and put fans on the tank to get the tank back to normal.
    I lost a few SPS, but most corals are alive but just sulking (no PE, but subtle responses to light cycle).
    I have been doing 30% water changes every day, and running extra carbon as I know the softies might be releasing harmful chemicals.

So, my question: I have noticed the open brain (Trachyphyllia?) has started dying back a bit in the days since the heat shock. It still has full colour, but no inflation. the flesh has started melting away on the left side, revealing the skeleton below. Do you think there's any chance of recovery for the coral? Or is 95F just too hot to recover from?

I will take a picture once the lights come on.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Only time will tell regarding how adversely the corals will react over the next couple days.

If you should have this problem again use ice cubes in a zip lock bag to bring down the temp and the fans. Granted the tank was far too hot but the swing the other direction is just as detrimental.

Fans are your friend if you do not have a chiller, it just takes some time playing with them to get them in the right position.

4. catchprj

catchprj Astrea Snail

I did wonder about decreasing it fast. That's why I left it at 85F to lower slowly, but yes, I can see that the 10F swing was too much.

I've never needed to actively lower the temperature of the tank so this was a bit of an unknown area for me!

I hope the flesh will stop melting away....

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Me too. :-/

Live and learn.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014