Temperature sensitive Corals.

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by reefnJeff, May 3, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

I noticed the 2 stony Corals in my tank don’t look very good, I tested the water and all is fine there, there was nothing obvious that I could find wrong, but yesterday, I noticed my water temp was 83, I watch a lot of documentaries and I seen in the wild they talked how Corals are bleaching, because of increased water temp as much as a few degrees can cause Corals to die, I know temp should be in between 72-78 so I turned downed the heater and I got it down to 80 so far, the Corals are Montipora species., could the temp be my problem?

2. Click Here!

3. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

its more about having a stable temp, 83 isnt horrible but 80 is much better. Try and keep the temp as stable as possible. As for the temp causing your issues, im not sure. But it could be part of it.

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Typically it's exposure to higher or lower temperatures over a period of time that causes bleaching. Some coral are more resistant/resilient to it. If your parameters are in check and you feel it is indeed the temperature causing the bleaching event, slowly bring your temperature back down into the mid tobupper 70s. Coral can recover from bleaching as the tissue is typically still present (it's translucetn inv ppearence), the zooxanthellea were just expelled nto the water column.

Good luck.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Natural reef systems see temperature swings between day and night and in between tidal
    cycles. I would keep it in a stable range. Most natural systems average about 80°, which means they get hotter and warmer during daily cycles.