Temp swing with SPS

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Zoanthids21, May 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

I normally get about a 5-6 degree swing in my biocube, it is mostly sps dominated,i didint have problems when I had just lps nd softie,but with sps could that effect growth or color or anything?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes IMO that could cause issues with STN. Color and growth I can not say for sure.

My tank swings from 78-82 in the summer and I have an issue with STN, which I am pretty sure is related to the swing.

In the winter I run a heater at 80 to avoid the swing, but if I kept the tank at 80 during the summer it would get up to 86 no problem.

Dang MH love the lighting, love the growth and color of the corals, HATE the heat. Seriously looking at LED's.

4. Zoanthids21

Will the ambient temp or room temp play a part in it? My mom has been keeping it about 80 or so in the house

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Are your corals showing STN? If not, I probably wouldn't worry about it LOL. It's a complicated question though. However, if the coral is acclimated to that temperature range and if the coral is physiologically capable of adapting to the high low temperatures of the range, then there is no physiological reason why there would be any stress from the swing. STN, as far as anyone knows, appears to be a result of a range of various diseases. If temperature swings a cause, then it would need to somehow induce stress and lead to an opportunistic infection. This seems unlikely at the ranges you describe, if the corals have been exposed to this range for some time. Unless, there was a recent change that the corals have not yet adapted to.

Someone brought up a good point recently, on a reefcrest, many SPS corals are exposed to, or nearly exposed to air, for even hours a day at low tide. Baking in the sun at the surface of the water and then being drenched with cool water as the tide rises and the waves begin crashing on them again. While, deeper water SPS corals are exposed to changing currents and thermoclines, and also often experience significant daily changes. There are differences in corals however, and it is tough to say what the result will be for a given coral. Generally however, corals are quite tollerant of swings if they have been acclimated to the range and the range is withing their thermal limits.

If you are exeriencing STN, certainly try stabalizing the temp and see what happens...

6. Zoanthids21

Thanks for all that haha,tha corals look fine too me

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Our tanks are not a good replication of the ocean so SPS are already under some degree of stress. For that reason, anything one can do that minimizes additional stress is a good thing. Think what happens when there is an upwelling from the abyssal plains.....temperature drops A LOT, salinity drops A LOT, nutrients TEMPORARILY increase by A LOT in an area that is normally oligotrophic. The corals survive. If you were to replicate this in your tank, I hope you were generous and gave frags of your corals to your friends because you are going to need frags back to restart your tank.

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Certainly. However, if acclimated to a given temp range, which is within the thermal tolerance limits of the organism, then there is no stress within that range. Acclimation implies that the organism has optimized it's metabolic processes and functions for that range. In this situation, it is a mute point.

However, if acclimated to a narrower range and then equipment fails, for example, and suddenly there are bigger swings, then the organism is not prepared to handle the swing and you have stress. I agree stress is bad, which is why it can be detrimental to overly micromanage the environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk