Tattooedsoul87's Dimmable Rapid LED DIY kit

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by tattooedsoul87, May 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tattooedsoul87

tattooedsoul87 Coral Banded Shrimp

I have ordered my Rapid LED dimmable kit for my 60 gallon (48x16x17") tank and I am ready to start the build. I want to thank evolved and exactlyobp for all of there help with the many questions I had. I ordered 40 of the CREE XP- series LEDs, 20 Cool White XP-G R5 LEDs and 20 Royal Blue XP-Es, 4 Mean Well ELN-60-48D dimmable drivers, and two 5.9 X 16 inch heat sinks. I just ordered the 36 LED kit and added 4 extra leds an an extra diver. Im hoping the two 5.9x16" heat sinks will provide enough light coverage for my tank, I may have to hang it a little high above the tank to get full coverage or I may just add some led supplemental lighting strips. My plan is to build a light weight frame around the 2 fixtures so I can just hang the whole thing instead of hanging 2 seperate fixtures, and also so I can add extra lighting strips if needed, but that will be alot later in this project.

[​IMG]

I bought a few things from radio shack to build the dimmer box while I was waiting for the kit to come.
    1dimmer box.JPG

I used a catfish bell that I hang from my fishing pole when I catfish, to hold the potentiometers and wires while I tinned them, worked quite well. Then I shortend the shaft of the pots so that the knobs diddnt stick up so high out of the dimmer box.
    2tinned pots.JPG
    3cut pots.JPG

Finnaly I cut the holes in the lid of the project box so I could put the shafts of the pots through them and put my knobs on. I also ordered a DC Power Connector so that I can just plug in the AC adapter instead of stripping the wire. Im going to add another hole for that and put it in the middle above the 2 pots.
    4dimmer box (2).JPG
    inside dimmer box.JPG

More to come later today when the kit arrives

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Great start and DIY work. I don't think hanging the unit higher to get a good spread will cause any problems since the lights have excellent penetration ability.

4. tattooedsoul87

Thanks, the tank I have is pretty shallow as well so I think you are right about hanging it higher if I need to

5. Tadpole1mill

Tadpole1mill Purple Spiny Lobster

Are you going to put optics on the Led's? that could help or hinder coverage depending on what you choose, and since you didn't mention any i'm just curious as to whether your going to use any at all.

6. tattooedsoul87

ya the kit comes with 40 or 60 degree optics and I chose the 60 degrees.

7. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

What effects do the 40 or 60 deg optics have on how high you can place your fixture? just curious

8. Click Here!

9. tattooedsoul87

the 60 degree optics give more spread and the 40 degree optics concentrait the light more strait down. withought the optics I think they are around 120 something degrees

10. Tadpole1mill

Tadpole1mill Purple Spiny Lobster

60 degree have a better spread, its a wider angle, 40 degree is more focused.

Actually when you think about it if you have a large number of leds and your hanging them up high, 40degree is better for penetration but if you have a medium to small number a 60degree will get you more with, much better for shallower tanks less chance of burning the coral and wat not. Some people also just prefer one angle over the other if they are clustering the led's instead of doing rows, as one angle might provide a better light temperature blend then the other. Theres alot of subjectiveness with led's and alot of it is just prefrence. I was just curious as to wat the TS was going to do with his. Sounds like its going to be perfect for his 60gal

11. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Glad to help.

Congrats on getting started.

12. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

hey congrats on the upgrade i myself am interested in LED's and have been doing a ton of research into i came across this article
    http://focus.ti.com/lit/an/slyt084/slyt084.pdf
    which explains and talks about the drivers used to power leds and about the dimming vs constant current. I found it had tons of good info thats helping me put my plan together faster.