Target Stand!

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by duoc9119, Jun 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. duoc9119

duoc9119 Coral Banded Shrimp

If you are looking for a nice affordable stand for a tank but don't want to pay top dollar for plywood with an aquarium label, I highly suggest you make a trip to your nearest Target!

I found a nice Room Essentials 3 Tier Wire Shelving Unit for only $18! :eek:

The one I got was for my 10 gallon tank and currently holds the tank, a 28 liter ATO container (also bought at Target) and fish stuff.

Yeah it sounds too good to be true, a stand that is affordable and can hold up a 10 gallon tank.

So this stand looked pretty simple, 4 legs, 3 adjustable shelves. But it says that the max weight is 160 lbs PER SHELF! I said what the heck and bought it ($18 come on now)

Got it set up, fairly easy, and I now have a nice stand that doesn't shake, and has enough room to put a ATO bucket on the second shelf, and room on the bottom shelf to hold my RO/DI and other equipment.

I was kind of hesitant at first so after I put it together I jumped on and and bounced around (I weigh around 125). And it held up without any shaking.

Prospace Chrome 3 Tier Shelving Unit : Target

Looks like that but made by Room Essential. Not sure why they don't have it on the website. I got mine in the black epoxy coating, which has a nice rubbery feel, but I laid a piece of wood for the tank because it is wire flooring and kind of slides back and forth.

Going to go to Lowes sometime and get something similar for my 40 Breeder. 72" high so I can hang lights on the underside of the top shelf, and is rated at 800 lbs per shelf, with 4 shelves. So light on the top, then the tank, sump, and then other stuff on the bottom! haha ;D And for only $67

2. Click Here!

3. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

I would be very scared of putting a 10 gallon tank on that thing... max weight is 160 ... a 10 gallon with only water weighs 111 not including rock and sand in my opinion if your going to set up a tank your not doing it for a month or 2 its going to be up for awhile, I wouldn't trust that wire steel to hold up for any length of time obviously its up to you however I would seriously re-think that, I am all for saving money however I refuse to skimp on quality and uncertainty, also you might want to call the manufacture of that stand and get there opinion on it ;D either way GL

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1 to ^^^

In fact, I recently scrapped a cheaper wooden aquarium stand as it was beginning to bow in the middle, leaving the entire weight of the tank on just the ends. Not good for a 30" tank that weighs nearly 300lbs. I went with a good solid cabinet with my new setup.

5. wasitgreen

wasitgreen Feather Duster

I have one of those for my kingsnake and it relies on 4 plastic angled pieces to keep the shelves up, failed >3 times already with under 50lbs on.

6. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

agree with everyone, be very careful when utilizing a stand that is not "specifically" built to hold a tank. The only thing I trust are good quality solid wood ones from aquarium manufacturers or those custom built by someone who has done them before.

7. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

I have a couple of these in my garage. BAD CHOICE FOR FISH TANK!

Mine have been used to hold meanial things like hoses, my little tool box, stuff like that. Over time you can see where they sag a little here and there and dont sit perfectly level anymore.

If that is the look you like or want to go with I wouls suggest drilling some holes & putting bolts thru the uprights at a minumum.

8. Click Here!

9. duoc9119

I've tried going to all the wood shops around here and they were really expensive to make a stand. After a few years of projects, wood is possibly my worse. I wouldn't trust anything made of wood that I have made. Lol

Anyone know how much it would cost to build one from steel?

10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

11. duoc9119

Thanks for the link! Maybe I will make a run to petco and see if they have it in-store.

Went back to the stand and gave it a through look and it is bowing a bit. So I took it off the stand to a small wooden table pallet used to ship cinder blocks.

12. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

Lol well glad I could help you c that, wouldn't want a tank to come crashing down on ya :p oh and def c if you could pick up a cheap one from Petco $20 isn't bad at all and for $2 more it brings alot more reliability :)