Target Feeding

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by RemickJ, Jul 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RemickJ

RemickJ Teardrop Maxima Clam

Hey Everyone- I'm going to ask this as I'm willing to bet others have the same question. I'll start off by saying that I have had great luck with corals and have only ever fed the tank. I have not target fed much and have had great success.

I do have a few corals that I got more recently that I am reading need target feeding. The first being a sun coral and the second being a Chilli coral. The reason I stopped target feeings was when I fed other corals when they had there tenticals out I did not get a resonce. this being said I only felt that by target feeding it was forcing me to feed more to the tank then I would by feed 4 ml to the entire tank.

my question is am I doing it wrong?? I take about 4 mil in a dropper and squeeze it out gently over the coral. Each time I do this I watch the food drift away without a tentical evcen budging. Any pointers?

2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

I think coral all do fine in the ocean without divers going in and target feeding them every day. ;)

4. RemickJ

RemickJ Teardrop Maxima Clam

Bogie- I thought there were little men that looked like your Avitar that go down in to the water with a little dropper saying.. "one for you.. and one for you...."

I must be doing something right as I have not lost a coral (knock on wood) I think I'm questioning because I hear the sun coral and the chilli coral can be more difficult.. Then again I have a Green Gonipora that everyone said does not do well and I have had it almost a year now and have not target fed much at all..

5. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Chili coral are filter feeders only. Put them in a low area with some flow where they can feed on small stuff in the water column. They do not require any light.

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Cut a water bottle in half. Use the top half, place it over coral, squirt in food, let it sit for a few, then done.

7. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

i don't know about the chili..but try feeding the sun coral brine shrimp..that's what i feed my euphyllias and they slowly eat it..i tried spot feeding them liquid stuff and it didn't really seem like it was doing much..

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

very few corals really need to be fed. suncoral being one of those that do. I have had a chili coral for a year and a half and have never target fed.

10. charmeddvd123

charmeddvd123 Banned

They do not require any light.

11. SilvioD

SilvioD Astrea Snail

I cut the top of a gatorade bottle and put it over the sun corals and then give a piece of mysis or brine to evey polyp using the suction from a syringe. For the little polyps I would sqiurt some syringe full of cyclopeeze into the bottle and wait for them to eat it all. Its a lot of food but it happens like 2x a week and the fish and my starfish like to eat the leftovers lol.

12. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

I do the same with my sun coral - I did super glue some rubble to the outside of the bottle to weight it down.