Tanks running sans clownfish

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by ccardini, Aug 6, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ccardini

ccardini Bristle Worm

Anybody running a saltwater tank without having clownfish? I've noticed all the videos and pictures I've looked at over the year seem to have clowns in them. They are saltwater' most popular fish for a reason. Just curious if anyone has a tank without having clowns.

To start it off, I am like the masses. Always have had clowns and probably always will.

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

i think it stems from the fact clowns are considered a "hardy" species and usally added as "first fish". on top of this they have an awesome symbiotic relationship with anemones, and anythign esle for that matter.......AND they breed in captivity (some) what more do you want? personally im one of those people that if you have seen a clown smother in a nem, or better yet FEED a nem. youre hooked....

but im sure there are systems that are clown less, they are pretty aggressive otherwise, especially the larger species

zesty likes this.
  4. ccardini

ccardini Bristle Worm

I'm with you. I'm hooked as well. Personal fave is the nakeds. So funny looking.

5. Swisswiss

thats a different story.....

ccardini and zesty like this.
  6. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I have more pairs of clowns than I do tanks. :oops: :oops:

A pair or one has always been in the DT. There used to be a big ole cin tom clown, she got old and angry. She would destroy the sand bed and any corals on within 2 feet. :mad: Plus, would attack my hand every single time I put it in there. Hand challenge was tougher back then. Someone tried to call me out on the clownfish biting me and was like "come on, bro. a clownfish???" "Yeah, dude. A clownfish, that drew blood... granted it was tiny tiny, nothing to go crazy about, but it did break blood out.

I have a tank teardown pair that sleep on this giant acan everyday (opposite light schedule). It's actually the symbiotic relationship (or whatever it's called) and how they sleep together, they snuggle while laying on the acan... ohhhh it's soooo cute. When they started laying eggs, you could find us on the floor with flashlight driving them nuts. hahahaha :p They were the instant celebs of the SW world in our house. :cool::cool: (security) :cool::cool:
    I quickly had to explain the duties of raising baby clowns, then we were both happy to provide a nutritious and delicious treat to the entire tank world. ;)

obviously nemo plays a big part in the popularity of late, but also the designers help people get away from that. It's weird how the change of a stripe totally negates that nemo mantra.

I love that they are derpy, vinny our wiener dog is another perfect example of derpy. o_O

I think there's too many pros vs the cons for these guys that make em such a no brainer for the beginner and seasoned, as well.

7. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

No nemo's here. Too aggressive for my taste. At work we have a pair that makes attack dogs look cute.

My favorites are sanjay's photon clowns. It's a cool morph that doesn't look too "not natural"

Swisswiss and zesty like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Swisswiss

my loyalty to t. percula

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

IME Clowns always seem to pick my favorite coral as a host causing stress and eventually killing them.:(

DSC reef likes this.
  11. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

I love them. They have add such character to a tank

12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

No clowns here. I've had several different species and my favorite will always be the gold band maroon.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.