Tank Upgrade - Ich

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by rwlopez713, Mar 22, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rwlopez713

rwlopez713 Plankton

I am currently working on setting up a 300 gallon tank which will be an upgrade from my 72 gallon reef. The new tank will start of with dry rock and sand. I want to use this as a chance to eradicate Ich from my tanks. Since I am starting off with dry rock and sand, does it make sense to set up the big tank with hypo-salinity and keep the fish there for 6-8 weeks. Or should I do it the other way around and transfer the inverts, rock and sand to the larger tank and keep the fish in hypo in the smaller tank?

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

All items: Rock, frags, algae, shells, hermits...... have the potential to introduce the parasite.

You will have to leave the tank with the corals and inverts fallow for 8-12 weeks and strictly quarantine all future purchases.

Welcome to 3reef. :)

5. rwlopez713

rwlopez713 Plankton

Thanks, but what I am trying to decide is whether or not it would work to put only the fish in the new tank at 1.09 salinity and leave the reef fallow for eight weeks. After that period i could raise the salinity in the new tank and transfer the coral, inverts ect.

6. Corailline

Sure you can do it that way 1.009. Remember going up in SG is a lot more stressful on fish than going down so go slow.

Handy little link for the process:

A Hyposalinity Treatment Process

Are you going to cycle the new tank first?

7. rwlopez713

rwlopez713 Plankton

Yes I will cycle the new tank first. I will just have to cycle it at 1.009 and acclimate the fish to that SG in a separate container. Thanks

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

ok, question, doesn't hyposalinity help to treat ich? and in this treatment wouldn't the cysts fall off into the sand? that would produce what's he's trying to avoid, correct? I would think you could keep the fish in a quarantine tank with hyposalinity for a period (I would look up for what period) leave your reef fallow without fish and then add the fish to your new tank with your rock and sand. The new tank will need to cycle before you add fish anyway. In all honesty, I'm not sure one can totally eliminate the potential of ich but if it is very important to you, and you're patient, I would think it may be possible.

10. Corailline

According to the author of the link I posted the hyposalinity kills the parasite, it does not go on to live in a dormant stage. Marine ich must have a host to feed on within the period of it's life cycle. If it the cyst do fall off they will not re-infect the fish in the hyposalinity there by interrupting their life cycle.

I image the mechanism of demise for the parasite is osmoality. The cyst cell membrane ruptures as a hypotonic solution rushes into the cell to achieve an isotonic state.