Tank temperatures...

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Yuri Kapustin, Oct 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Yuri Kapustin

Yuri Kapustin Coral Banded Shrimp

I have a reef tank thats running a little warm. I have no heater, and its far away from any windows or sun. I think its just a warm house or an inaccurate thermometer. According to two different thermometers, the tank temp is around 85.4 tops and 83.1 min.
    There are no signs of stress with the inhabitants. (5 turbo snails, 3 chromis, 1 engineering goby, 5 hermits, 2 nassarius snails. However I HAVE noticed that one of the nassarius snails is not acting the same and both are always trying to bury themselves deep into the sand. I know that these snails normally do that, its just that for a few days they were cruising the rocks and all of a sudden they are burying themselves.

My question is, are there any simple ways or creative ways to cool down the water temp. It is a 20g tall with a 10 gallon surface top. I currently am running a bjb 24" 65x3 light for around 6 hours a day (usually only acintics). I have an acryilic lid i put in myself to limit the evaporation.

I have heard of using fans, but what else has anyone tried???

Thanks in advance...

2. Click Here!

3. JohnFritts

JohnFritts Peppermint Shrimp

20oz bottles full of water (throw them in the freezer)

I had to do that with my bio cube. Ended up stealing a few of the containers from my son's "bug juice" that he drinks all the time and using those too!

GL
    -fritts

1 person likes this.
  4. reefman1132

reefman1132 Skunk Shrimp

Really with the size of your tank fans are your best option. Their cheap, effective and easy to find. You probably shouldn't have a lid on it if your holding in heat though definitely.

1 person likes this.
  5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I also agree on the frozen water bottles, although they really shouldn't be a permanent fix. The fans should help a lot, but they will cause a lot of evaporation so make sure to keep an eye on the water level.

1 person likes this.
  6. reefnut1

reefnut1 Spaghetti Worm

I would go with a fan blowing above the water.

It does not matter if you get evaporation. Just top off with r/o water salt will remain correct.
    Your temp will probably drop if you remove the covers off of the tank also.

1 person likes this.
  7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

+2 on fans and no top. That will bring the temp down good. At 85, your approaching danger zone if memory serves.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Yuri Kapustin

Thanks for the advice. I am looking for a long-term fix. I guess im going to get the automatic top off system at the LFS and remove the lid and get some fans going. Im going to fiberglass a back section to hold a few high powered computer fans to blow air across the water. I would rather have more evaporation than cooked sushi.

BTW, how likely is it that when i top off my tank with RO DI water that my ph levels and sailinity levels are fluctuating? In your experiences, with topping off the water and scraping back in the salt residue, have your ph levels and sailinity levels reamined consistent, or should i try and find a way to stop so much evaporation?

Thanks for the help.
    K+ to everyone.

10. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

No one mentioned a chiller. I know but you didn't say inexpensive you just said simple or creative. Chillers are pretty simple! IMHO

1 person likes this.
  11. Yuri Kapustin

Yeah was told that chillers are over 300 at least.
    I dont know if I want to spend that much until ive expired more ideas like fans.

Thanks for the help.

12. reefnut1

reefnut1 Spaghetti Worm

Adding RO water for evaporation will not change your parameters. Use an automatic top off system if you can, because your water level will always stay pretty constant. If you do it manually and you do not keep up then you will get fluctuations due to having the same salt in less water when your water is low.

1 person likes this.