Urgent Tank temp rising

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by socal86, Jun 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. socal86

socal86 Fire Worm

well i tried the water bottle frozen it only drops the tank 1 degree then i need to freeze again by the time its frozen again and ready to use the tank temp is back up again

2. Click Here!

3. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

make more bottles son!!!

4. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

and pull the canopy are u running ur ac in the house ?

5. Guacamole

Guacamole Plankton

So yes, with the summer months upon us, my 75g got up to 84 yesterday. I went and bought 2 6" clip on fans and I am blowing air across the top of my tank. This has helped a lot.

If you are going to do the frozen bottles method, yes you need more than 1 bottle frozen at any given time, probably more like 3-5. Another thing I have heard people do is to get ice making trays, and freeze RO water into cubes and put those in your tank as a way to lower temp and to top off. Good luck, and you can always invest in a chiller if you don’t want to run the AC.

6. Still-a-Newb

Still-a-Newb Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Keep your ambient temperature in your house at a decent temp, I don't even have to use a chiller and just keep my ambient temp around 76. Blowing hot air from your house isn't going to help anything. Putting frozen water in every day or more doesn't sound like a lot of fun. Enjoy your a/c and your fish will too, or at least buy a chiller for the helpless fish.

1 person likes this.
  7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Every summer I have to make some adjustments to keep the tank cooler.

Run the ac at 80 in the afternoon.
    Raise the lid.
    Run the lights during the coolest part of the day, in the am turning them off around 1-2pm. If you work days and want to see the tank in the evening start them later in the day. It's the build up of heat coinciding with the highest temp of the day (outside) that does my tank in, so I simply adjust the lighting schedule and shorten the photo period.
    Lastly watch the evaporation factor during the summer if you decide to add fans and open the lid.

8. Click Here!

9. PierceEye

PierceEye Aiptasia Anemone

Why would you reduce your lighting during the "cooler" part of the day. The inside temp of your house should be stable and then you do not need to change your light schedule......that is harder on the corals etc that a 2 or 3 deg temp flux.

I live in Tampa Florida and keep my homes at 75deg and 74 at night for sleeping and my tank stays between 79& 80 12 months out of the year.

I run an open top and hae good surface agitation which also helps keep the temp down and is good for oxygen exchange so you kill two birds with one stone when you agitate the surface water.

If you need to drop the temp for one reason or another use ice in a bag or plastic container just have a few of them available to use

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I run MH, and reducing the total time the lights are off regardless will reduce the cummlative effect in increase in temperature. During the winter I run them about 8 hours in the summer 6-7 hours, and during the coolest part of the day. Anything I can do prevent the temp from rising above 82 F. As the day temp here are routinely over 100-105 during the day.

I can only address what works for me, if my corals were stressed I would have included that in my post.

11. PierceEye

PierceEye Aiptasia Anemone

Do you not keep the room where your tank is air conditioned and kept at a level temp?

12. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I do, but that's just me. I have issues with 80+ degrees w/high humidity while I'm trying to relax at my PC with a cold beer. :D My room stays at 72 and my tank at 78.

As far as altering light schedules to help keep temps down in an aquarium, I believe that corals are subjected to a lot more than that on cloudy, windy days and even more so during tropical storms.