tank temp pics added

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by linetrash, Jul 15, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. linetrash

linetrash Fire Shrimp

my tank has been staying around 80. my house stays 74 day and night not sure if the heater is working properly. i have turned it down there isn't any real way to tell what temp it is set at. i want to avoid getting a chiller don't have the room for one and they are pricey.

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

At house temp of 74 you shouldn't need a chiller. My house goes up to 77 during the day and tank tops out at 80. Might want to play with the heater some more.

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

^Yup

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Are you using MH's lights?
    unplug it and see what happens.

I'm now keeping mine at about 76-77F

And Vinny, Cheryl, - we're all a fan! And yes, I know what you meant by the 'fan' comment and I also agree.

Corailline likes this.
  7. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Unplug the heater see if temp drops.

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Yes, that's also what I meant by 'unplug it', the heater.

10. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

80 is not bad is it is steady and not large, quick swings up and down.
    I kept my systems at 79-81 for many years when I was using 2x250w MH and 2x140w VHO using two 120mm comouter fans in the canopy and a $10 WalMart clip on fan over the sump for backup.

If you have the tank covered, prop the lid open or remove the glass. If it is not, a clip on fan blowing across the longest dimension will easily lower the temps 3-5 degrees or more. This creates another issue though, evaporation, so be prepared for more frequent top off or an ATO system. I was able to place my fans on timers so they started the same time as the lights and ran an hour or so after the lights went off and this worked for years before I bought a RKL controller and placed them on temp control rather than time. Once I went to LED lights the fans are strictly back up now and never run even in Phoenix in the dead of summer with a digital setback thermostat on the house AC so it can be quite warm in the house when we are at work. The tank now stays at 78 degrees year round with the LED's.

11. linetrash

linetrash Fire Shrimp

I have led lights And I'll try unplugging the heater and get a fan to blow across the top it is a steady 80ish. The lights are hanging. Thank you everyone for the info. Sorry for grammar I am at work up a tower waiting so typing fast I'll give update tonight and put new pics on my build thread thanks again.

12. linetrash

linetrash Fire Shrimp

ok so i unplugged the heater no change in temp could my pump be producing that much heat?i can't find a decent usb fan that is not just a computer fan.